The State Security Service of Ukraine (SBU), together with the State Service of Special Communications and the Cyber Police, continues to investigate the cyberattack.
"So far, we can say that there are some signs of involvement in the incident of hacker groups associated with the special services of Russia," the SBU said in a statement on its website on Friday – Interfax-UKRAINE reported.
Read more: Russia Plans to Destabilize Ukraine, NATO Calls on Moscow to Immediately De-escalate Situation and USA Ready to Increase Defense Aid
The SBU said that in total more than 70 government websites were attacked, ten of which were subjected to unauthorized interference. At the same time, the content of the sites was not changed, and there was no leakage of personal data. After the attack, the work of most web resources was resumed.
"At the SBU initiative, a number of critical public resources were disabled, including the Diia public services portal, until the technical problem was localized and in order to prevent the attack from spreading. The Diia mobile application worked and is working normally. At the same time, the message about the exploitation by hackers of a specific vulnerability in the content management system, which appeared in the media during the day, was only one of the versions being processed," the SBU said.
All details of the incident are documented within the previously opened criminal proceedings of the SBU.
According to the press service of the Ministry of Culture and Information Policy a massive cyberattack on Ukraine's government websites was carried out from Russian territory – Ukrinform reported.
"On the night of January 13-14, a cyberattack hit a number of government websites - the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the State Emergency Service, the Ministry of Education and Science, the Ministry of Sports, the Ministry of Energy, and the Ministry of Agrarian Policy. Contrary to the allegations of the attackers, no data, including personal data, was leaked. The Diia app runs smoothly, all registers are securely protected. A number of government websites have been suspended as a precaution," the statement said.
According to the study, conducted by the Center for Strategic Communications and Information Security (Ukraine), the first data suggest that the attack was carried out from Russian territory. This is not the first time that Ukrainian websites have been exposed to attacks since the beginning of Russia's military aggression, and some cyberattacks have been so widespread that they have become part of the world's textbooks for cyber specialists. The purpose of such attacks is to destabilize the internal situation in the country and to sow chaos and despair in society.
Responding the attack NATO released special Statement by the NATO Secretary General on cyber attacks against Ukraine.
NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg has condemned the cyber attacks on the Ukrainian government.
“NATO has worked closely with Ukraine for years to help boost its cyber defences,” the statement reads. NATO cyber experts in Brussels have been exchanging information with their Ukrainian counterparts on the current malicious cyber activities.”
NATO experts in country are also supporting the Ukrainian authorities on the ground, Stoltenberg was quoted as saying.
In the coming days, NATO and Ukraine “will sign an agreement on enhanced cyber cooperation, including Ukrainian access to NATO’s malware information sharing platform.”
NATO’s strong political and practical support for Ukraine will continue, the secretary general concluded.
In its turne the European Union's chief diplomat Josep Borrell condemned the cyberattack, warning it contributes to the "already tense situation" in the region.
"We are going to mobilise all our resources to help Ukraine to tackle this cyber attack. Sadly, we knew it could happen," Josep Borrell told reporters at an EU foreign ministers' meeting in the western French city of Brest, as Reuters reported.
A US National Security Council official said the President Joe Biden had been briefed on the attack – CNN reported. The official in White House said the US did not have an attribution for the attack yet but would "provide Ukraine with whatever support it needs to recover."
Tensions between Ukraine and Russia are at their highest in years, with a Russian troop build-up near the two nations' borders spurring fears that Moscow could launch an invasion in the coming weeks or months.
As reported, USA Warns Russia Against Invading Ukraine during talks in Geneva and and together with NATO alliance members working over supplying Stinger missiles to Ukraine in addition to the American military assistance that is already flowing to Kyiv.