- Shootings and explosions in temporarily occupied Ukrainian city Enerhodar, 4 people injured.
- The Office of the Prosecutor General of Ukraine stated that 158 children had been killed and 254 had been injured since russia started full-scale war against Ukraine.
- Pentagon has submitted a request to Congress regarding the provision of Ukraine with a new batch of security assistance worth $300 million, which includes a powerful package of various weapons and equipment for the Ukrainian Armed Forces.
- The UK Ministry of Defense: the destruction of oil tanks at a depot in the Russian city of Belgorod means probable loss of fuel and ammunition supplies to invading forces.
- The President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky said Russia was accumulating troops for new strikes in Donbas.
- Verkhovna Rada: the parliament of Ukraine and its social media (Facebook, Telegram)
- President Zelenskyy: the President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy and his social media (Twitter, Facebook, Telegram)
- Presidential Office: the Official website of the President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy and his social media (Facebook, Twitter, Telegram); advisers to the Office: Oleksiy Arestovych and Mykhailo Podoliak; Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Reintegration of Temporary Occupied Territories Iryna Vereshchuk
- General Staff: the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine
- NSDC of Ukraine: the National Security Defense Council of Ukraine website and social media (Facebook, Twitter); Center for Countering Disinformation at the NSDC of Ukraine (website, Facebook, Telegram)
Thank you for your attention! This feed is closed. But Defense Express has already started a new one. Find the latest news on Day 39th of the Russian invasion of Ukraine here.
23:55 The Air Force Command of UA Armed Forces on Facebook:
On April 2, units of the Ukrainian Air Force hit eight air targets:
- 2 aircraft (previously Su-34 fighter-bomber);
- 1 helicopter;
- 1 UAV;
- 4 cruise missiles.
Strike aircraft under the cover of fighters continue to made missile and bomb strikes on troops, columns of military technics, logistics centers and manpower of the occupiers.
23:40 The head of the Poltava Oblast State Administration Dmytro Lunin said in Telegram: The occupants fired en masse at the Kremenchuk refinery and fuel and lubricants warehouses. The company's infrastructure was destroyed. The plant is not working. Rescuers continue to put out the fire. As of now, several people have been injured who received burns, but their lives are not in danger.
23:15 The Joint Forces Operation (JFO) press service on Facebook: Over the past day, the JFO units have repelled six attacks and destroyed 17 enemy military vehicles.
“Thanks to the skillful actions and high competence of the JFO’s servicemen, six enemy attacks have been successfully repelled over the past day,” the report states.
In addition, Ukrainian defenders destroyed four enemy tanks, six armored vehicles and seven motor vehicles.
A reminder that, within the control area of the East Operational and Tactical Group, the Ukrainian military repelled two enemy attacks. Russian invaders lost up to 80 troops, three tanks, two infantry fighting vehicles, one artillery system/mortar and three artillery tractors.
23:01 The head of Donetsk Oblast State Administration Pavlo Kyrylenko: One person was killed and three were wounded in the shelling in Bakhmut in Donetsk oblast today. Also one wounded in Odradny and one in Mariinka. The exact number of victims in Mariupol and Volnovakha is currently unknown.
22:45 Devastating reports have been coming out of the cities in the Kyiv region that were retaken by Ukrainian forces: bodies in the streets. Destruction. Reports of Russian troops using children as shields.
Anatoly Fedoruk, mayor of Bucha, told AFP that the city has already buried 280 people in a mass grave. Corpses littered the streets, he said, some as young as 14 years old. “All these people were shot, killed, in the back of the head,” Fedoruk said.
Many of the bodies had white bandages on them “to show that they were unarmed,” he said.
In the village of Novyi Bykiv, about 100 miles north of Kyiv, coaches of children were said to have been placed in front of tanks. “Cases of using children as cover are recorded in Sumy, Kyiv, Chernihiv, Zaporizhzhia oblasts [regions],” said Lyudmila Denisova, Ukraine’s human rights ombudsman.
You can read more on The Guardian.
22:20 The State Emergency Service of Ukraine: More than 600 explosive items seized in Irpin
In the city of Irpin, Kyiv Region, rescuers have found and seized more than 600 explosive items.
The relevant statement was made by the Ukrainian State Emergency Service on Facebook.
“On April 2, 2022, Kyiv Region’s rescuers inspected the area of hostilities in Irpin, Bucha District. In the course of inspection, a total of 634 explosive items were seized,” the report states.
Clearing operations in Kyiv Region are still underway.
A reminder that the city of Irpin was liberated from Russian invaders on March 28, 2022. On April 2, 2022, the Ukrainian Defense Ministry reported the entire Kyiv Region had been liberated from Russian troops.
21:50 Russian troops destroy 6,800 residential houses in Ukraine.
The relevant statement was made by Ukrainian Communities and Territories Development Minister Oleksiy Chernyshov on Facebook, - Ukrinform reports.
“According to the preliminary data, Russia has destroyed 6,800 residential houses in Ukraine. But, unfortunately, this number is increasing every hour. The destruction volumes are catastrophic. More than 1,000 housing stock facilities were destroyed in Kharkiv. A large number of houses were destroyed in Chernihiv and Mariupol,” Chernyshov noted.
In his words, dozens of billions of dollars will be needed to restore the core infrastructure only after the war ends. The development part and the restoration of bridges and urban areas will cost hundreds of billions of dollars.
According to Chernyshov, the Ukrainian government is actively working on the action plan for the country’s reconstruction.
21:30 Office of the UN High Commissioner Human Rights: War in Ukraine kills at least 1,325 civilians, another 2,017 wounded.
Civilian casualties from February 24, when Russia started the war against Ukraine, to April 1, 2022 amounted to 3,342 civilians (3,257 in the report a day earlier), including 1,325 killed (1,276), the Office of the UN High Commissioner Human Rights said on Saturday.
"OHCHR believes that the actual figures are considerably higher, as the receipt of information from some locations where intense hostilities have been going on has been delayed and many reports are still pending corroboration," the UN said in the document.
According to him, this concerns, for example, Mariupol and Volnovakha (Donetsk region), Izium (Kharkiv region), Popasna (Luhansk region), and Irpin (Kyiv region), where there are allegations of numerous civilian casualties. These figures are being further corroborated and are not included in the above statistics.
"The majority of civilian deaths or injuries were caused by the use of explosive devices with a wide area of effect, including shelling from heavy artillery and multiple launch missile systems, as well as missile and air strikes," the UN said in the report.
According to confirmed UN data, some 268 men, some 189 women, some 36 boys and 20 girls killed, while the gender of 64 children and 748 adults has not yet been determined.
Among 2,017 people wounded, some 39 girls and 35 boys, as well as 94 children, whose gender has not yet been determined.
Compared to the previous day, five children were killed and eight more were wounded, according to the UN.
OHCHR says that in Donetsk and Luhansk regions, as of midnight on April 2, there were 381 (358) killed and 793 (772) wounded in government-controlled territory, and 67 (67) killed and 246 (246) wounded in territory controlled by self-proclaimed "republics."
In other regions of Ukraine under government control (in Kyiv, as well as in Zhytomyr, Zaporizhia, Kyiv, Sumy, Odesa, Mykolaiv, Kharkiv, Kherson, Dnipropetrovsk, Cherkasy and Chernihiv regions), the UN recorded 877 (851) killed and 978 (963) wounded.
According to the Prosecutor General's Office of Ukraine, as of 08:00 on April 2, 158 (153) children were killed and 254 (245) were wounded.
The increase in indicators in this report compared to the figures in the previous report should not be attributed only to new cases that occurred on April 1, since OHCHR also verified a number of cases that occurred in previous days during the day, the UN said in the document.
21:05 The Operational and Tactical Group East: Ukrainian defenders have defeated a Russian battalion tactical group in the Donetsk region.
Warriorsof the Armed Forces of Ukraine defeated a battalion tactical group of the occupation forces in a few hours In the Donetsk region, - The Operational and Tactical Group East reported this on Facebook.
"Yesterday, on April 1, the Russian fascists decided to intensify the offensive in several directions. However, such a large amount of equipment did not go unnoticed by our guys. Therefore, the occupiers received a 'warm' welcome," the statement said.
20:35 An adviser to the head of the President's Office Oleksiy Arestovych: Ukrainian forces regain control of over 30 settlements in Kyiv region.
The Ukrainian Armed Forces liberated more than 30 settlements in the Kyiv region from Russian invaders on Saturday, April 2.
Oleksiy Arestovych, an adviser to the head of the President's Office, said this at a briefing on Saturday, according to an Ukrinform correspondent.
"From the north-west and north-east of Kyiv, our troops pushed the enemy towards the state border. They pushed them back successfully. More than 30 settlements were liberated," he said.
Arestovych noted the heroic actions of the Ukrainian Armed Forces in the village of Dmytrivka, where two Ukrainian tanks destroyed a reinforced company of enemy tanks and a large number of armored vehicles.
At the same time the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine published picture of Irpen, Gostomel, Bucha after liberation from the Russian occupiers:
Since the beginning of the full-scale invasion of Russia in Ukraine, 154 residential buildings, 20 private estates, 27 kindergartens and 44 schools have been damaged only in Kiev, according to the Kyiv authorities statement.
20:00 Deputy Prime Minister - Minister for Reintegration of the Temporarily Occupied Territories of Ukraine Iryna Vereshchuk: Over 4200 people evacuated on Saturday from Ukraine.
A total of 4,217 people were evacuated on Saturday from areas in Ukraine on the front line of its war with Russia, deputy prime minister Iryna Vereshchuk said on national television.
19:50 An adviser to the head of the President's Office Oleksiy Arestovych: Ukrainian army repelling Russian attacks in eastern Ukraine.
The Ukrainian Armed Forces are repelling attacks by Russian troops in the east of the country.
Oleksiy Arestovych, an adviser to the head of the President's Office, said this at a briefing on Saturday, April 2, - Ukrinform reports.
"In eastern Ukraine, the enemy is trying to surround a grouping of our troops in the area of the Joint Forces Operation - from Izium to the south and from Volnovakha to the north. […] Yesterday, south of Volnovakha, the enemy tried to launch an offensive, but it was repulsed," he said.
Arestovych said that Russian forces are also attempting to attack Ukrainian troops near Avdiivka and Yasynuvata, but they were also stopped and they suffered heavy losses.
At the same time, he warned that fierce fighting was expected in eastern Ukraine, but added that after these battles the Russian Federation will unlikely have reserves for active offensives.
19:32 The General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine: the operational update regarding the russian invasion on 18.00 on April 2, 2022.
- In the Siversky direction, units of the occupying russian forces are moving from the state border of Ukraine into the territory of the republic of belarus.
- Panic is spreading among the servicemen of the armed forces of the russian federation due to the radiation exposure of the personnel of the units based in the Chornobyl zone.
- Looters of the russian occupation forces are trying to send the looted property from the territory of belarus to the SDEK express delivery service before being transferred to other directions.
- In Slobozhanshchyna, the russian occupiers blocked the exit from the town of Buryn, and a large concentration of military equipment was recorded in the settlement. The blockade of Putivl continues, the city is surrounded by enemy checkpoints. In the village of Yuryeve, Sumy region, the russian occupiers are conducting raids to conduct a census and search for weapons.
- Attempts by the russian enemy to seize Mariupol, block Rubizhne, Siverodonetsk, Popasna, Troitske, Avdiivka, Marinka and Krasnohorivka continue in the Donetsk direction. The occupiers have no success, they suffer losses.
- The situation in the South Buh area has not changed significantly. There are rumors among the local population of unrecognized Transnistria about forcing the personnel of the so-called "Transnistrian region" to take part in the war against Ukraine.
- In the Prymorsky direction, the occupying forces continue filtering measures in the temporarily occupied settlements.
19:10 Dmytro Lunin, the head of the Poltava regional military administration: Russian invaders fired three missiles at infrastructure facilities in Myrhorod, the Poltava region.
"Three missiles hit infrastructure in Myrhorod. The consequences of enemy strikes are being clarified. According to preliminary information, no one was injured," Lunin wrote.
"The Russians were afraid that the "Ukrops" [ironic name of Ukrainian army] were hiding somewhere ahead. And the "Ukrops" did not hide but went behind ... The Russian occupiers stopped being afraid... because they can no longer", — working in the pictures with the destroyed equipment of the Russians, posted by in the General Staff of Ukraine.
18:10 The adviser of the President's Office of Ukraine Oleksiy Arestovych: The Armed Forces of Ukraine destroyed one of the enemy columns that entered the occupied territory of Ukraine from Kursk region of Russia last night.
At the same time, he said that over the past day in Chornobayivka, Russian groups were defeated two more times. "Chornobayivka, which, by the way, also happened for the 13th and 14th times, a battalion and a battery of self-propelled guns of the Russian armed forces were destroyed," the adviser to the head of the President's Office said.
According to Arestovych, the Armed Forces of Ukraine continue their tactical offensive in Kherson region.
17:20 The Embassy of Ukraine in the United Kingdom has purchased 30 armored ambulance vehicles with the funds raised for humanitarian aid.
The diplomats shared the news via Twitter.
"We decided to direct part of the funds raised through http://withukraine.org to purchase not just any regular ambulance cars, but the armoured ones to protect our brave medics," the embassy said.
17:07 Energoatom reported: "Four people are known to have been wounded as a result of a series of explosions and shelling carried out by Russian scum today in Energodar". According to the report, local doctors are doing everything in their power in the almost complete absence of medicines and materials, trying to save the life and health of the victims. "Some victims will be released home today after the necessary procedures," the company said.
16:20 The President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy holds talks with the President of Latvia Egils Levits, thanks for significant support.
The President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy held talks with the President of Latvia Egils Levits and briefed him on the course of countering Russian aggression.
"Held talks with President of Latvia, Egils Levits. Reported on the course of countering Russian aggression, its war crimes. Agreed: all guilty must be punished! Grateful for the great support from Latvian people. Appreciate every reliable friend and ally in the fight against Russian aggression!" Zelenskyy wrote on Twitter.
15:55 The Minister of Defense of Turkey Hulusi Akar: Turkey is ready to help in evacuation from Mariupol by sea.
Turkey is ready to provide ships to organize the evacuation of civilians and the wounded from Mariupol by sea, Turkish National Defense Minister Hulusi Akar said on Saturday, Anadolu Agency reported.
"Ankara's readiness to support the evacuation process was brought to the attention of the Russian military attaché in Turkey, who was invited to our defense department. A similar initiative was transferred to Russian authorities and through the Turkish military attaché in Moscow. We are also coordinating our efforts with Ukrainian authorities through the military attaché in this country," Akar said.
15:32 The Minister of Foreign Affairs of Italy Luigi Di Mayo: Italy is ready to contribute to the peace process and act as a guarantor of Ukraine’s neutrality.
The Minister of Foreign Affairs of Italy Luigi Di Mayo says Italy ready to guarantee Ukraine's neutrality, La Repubblica reports. After the peace talks in Istanbul on March 29, Ukrainian negotiator Oleksander Chalyi explained that Ukraine seeks NATO-style security guarantees from the West.
15:25 Derhachi City Council: Enemy projectile damages gas pipeline to two villages.
A gas pipe leading to the villages of Yemtsi and Shovkopliasy was damaged as a result of enemy shelling in Derhachivsky district of Kharkiv region, Derhachiv City Council reported it on the Facebook page.
Residents of Yemtsi and Shovkopliasy are asked to turn off gas supply valves to households.
14:50 Defense Intelligence of Ukraine: Russian military set up bazaar to sell looted goods in Belarus.
Ukraine’s Defense Ministry Intelligence Directorate reported that Russian troops set up an open-air marketplace in the Belarus town of Naroulia, close to the Ukrainian border, where they sell everything they stole in Ukraine, including children’s toys, jewelry, cars, cosmetics, and currency.
14:10 The Head of the Regional Military Administration Pavlo Kyrylenko: Shelling attacks in Donetsk region kill seven people, wound six people, including three children.
On Friday, as a result of enemy shelling in Donetsk region, seven people were reported as killed, six people were injured, three of them are children, head of the Regional Military Administration Pavlo Kyrylenko said.
"On April 1, as a result of Russian shelling in Donetsk region, seven people were killed: four in Maryinka, two in Vuhledar and one in Novoselivka. Six people were also injured, including three children. In addition, one person wounded in Luhansk region received medical assistance in Bakhmut.
14:00 Documentary photographer, photojournalist Maks Levin found dead in Kyiv region.
Police found Ukrainian photojournalist, documentary photographer Maks Levin dead near the village of Huta Mezhyhirska in Kyiv region. He left four minor sons, a wife, and elderly parents.
"On April 1, after long searches in the area of the village of Huta Mezhyhirska in Kyiv region, the police found photojournalist, documentary photographer Maks Levin dead. Maks, accompanied by Oleksiy Chernyshov, a serviceman and former photographer, went to Huta Mezhyhirska on March 13 to document the consequences of the Russian aggression. They left a car and headed towards the village of Moshchun. Since then, the connection with both men was lost. Later it became known that intense fighting broke out in the area where Maks was going to work. The whereabouts and fate of Oleksiy Chernyshov have not been established yet," LB.ua Ukrainian media outlet reports, for which Levin worked for more than 10 years.
13:45 The Chairwoman of the Mykolayiv Regional Council Hanna Zamazeyeva: Over the past day, 14 people were wounded in Russia’s shelling of Mykolayiv region.
“Fourteen people were wounded in Mykolayiv region over the past day. Fortunately, there were no children among the victims. All the wounded were taken to our healthcare facilities and received the necessary assistance," Chair of the Mykolayiv Regional Council Hanna Zamazeyeva stated, Ukrinform reports.
As of this morning, 311 people, wounded in Russia’s attacks on Mykolayiv region, stay in local hospitals.
13:20 National Nuclear Energy Generating Company of Ukraine “Energoatom”: Invaders fire on pro-Ukrainian rally participants in Enerhodar.
Loud explosions are heard in the town of Enerhodar, Zaporizhzhia region, temporarily occupied by Russia. Shootings are taking place in the town center.
A video has been released showing the shootings in the town center. People gathered in the square in front of the town hall and the occupiers opened fire on them. Four people injured in explosion
13:00 General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine: the operational update regarding the russian invasion on 12.00 on April 2, 2022.
- The enemy intends to encircle the Joint Forces and reach the administrative borders of Luhansk and Donetsk regions.
- They continue to maintain certain borders in the temporarily occupied territories of Kyiv and Chernihiv oblasts in order to restrain the actions of Ukrainian troops , probably in areas near the state border of Ukraine (with the republic of belarus and the russian federation, respectively).
- russia continues to hold separate units of the 41st All-Army to blockade the city of Chernihiv.
- A part of the units of the 2nd All-Military Army was withdrawn from the Brovary direction to the territory of the Kursk region of the russian federation. Other units are ready to move towards the russian border.
- The enemy continues to blockade the city of Kharkiv. They are trying to continue the offensive in the Izium direction.
- In the Donetsk direction, the enemy is concentrating its main efforts on taking control of the settlements of Rubizhne, Siverodonetsk, Popasna, Troitske, Avdiivka, Marinka, and Krasnohorivka. Also trying to establish full control over the city of Mariupol.
- In the South Bug direction, the enemy is carrying out assault operations in order to reach the administrative borders of the Kherson region.
12:30 Ukrainian paratroopers destroy two russian Mi-8 helicopters.
In Kharkiv region, Ukrainian paratroopers destroyed two Russian Mi-8 helicopters.
“Since the start of the open Russian invasion, the units of the Air Assault Troops of the Armed Forces of Ukraine destroyed a considerable number of weapons, military equipment, and manpower, including helicopters of enemy military aircraft,” the Command of the Air Assault Forces of the Armed Forces of Ukraine posted on Facebook.
Yesterday, according to confirmed data, servicemen of the 95th Separate Air Assault Brigade of the Armed Forces of Ukraine shot down two Russian Mi-8 military transport helicopters. "The helicopters were destroyed by a crew of Ukraine’s Corsar portable anti-tank missile system in Kharkiv region. In fact, this is the first case when an air target was successfully destroyed by an anti-tank missile system," the publication reads.
12:15 General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine posts recently captured russia’s equipment, including russian portable satellite communication system "Auriga-1.2B" and some more.
More photos can be found here.
12:00 The Head of the Regional Military Administration Serhiy Haidai: Invaders shell Luhansk region. One person wounded, seven people rescued, seven houses damaged overnight.
Overnight, Russian occupiers shelled populated areas in Luhansk region, one person has been wounded, seven people saved, while seven houses were damaged, Head of the Regional Military Administration Serhiy Haidai said.
"On the night of April 2, the Russians again opened fire on Lysychansk, causing damage to five houses. Two more house fires occurred in Toshkivka. The number of casualties is being established. Employees of the State Emergency Service rescued seven people, one resident of Rubizhne was wounded," Haidai wrote on his Telegram channel on Saturday morning.
11:35 Tavriisk City Territorial Community: Russian troops abduct Tavriisk Mayor in Kherson Region.
In Kherson Region, Russian troops have abducted Tavriisk Mayor Mykola Rizak.
“Since the evening of April 1, 2022, the location of Tavriisk Mayor Mykola Rizak has been unknown. He was detained by the Russian military,” the report states,
The purpose of detaining and the requirements of Russian occupation forces are yet to be reported.
11:30 Mariupol City Council: Zaporizhzhia welcomes 2,000 more people evacuated from Mariupol (Video).
In the evening of April 1, 2022, a total of 2,000 more civilians evacuated from the city of Mariupol, besieged by Russian troops, arrived in the city of Zaporizhzhia.
“That’s how the evacuated Mariupol residents got to Zaporizhzhia last night! Some by their own cars, some by buses. More than 2,000 people in total,” the report states on Telegram.
11:15 General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine posted the total approximate combat losses of the enemy from 24.02 to 02.04:
Personnel - about 17800,
Tanks ‒ 631 units,
APV‒ 1776 units,
Artillery systems – 317 units,
MLRS - 100 units,
Anti-aircraft warfare systems - 54 units,
Aircraft – 143 units,
Helicopters – 134 units,
Vehicles - 1236 units,
Boats / cutters - 7 units,
UAV operational-tactical level - 87.
Special equipment - 24.
Mobile SRBM system - 4.
Data are being updated. The calculation is complicated by the high intensity of hostilities.
11:00 An adviser to the head of the Ukrainian President’s Office Mykhailo Podoliak: Russia to withdraw from all Ukrainian territories, except south and east, try to entrench itself there, dictate terms.
The Russian Federation will withdraw from all territories of Ukraine, except the south and east, will try to entrench itself there, reduce losses and dictate its terms, there will be no "Afghanization" and exhausting conflict for the Russian Federation, said Mykhailo Podoliak, adviser to the head of the Ukrainian President’s Office.
“There’ll be no ‘Afghanization’ & no long conflict exhausting RF as someone expects. RF will leave all territories except the south & east, will try to dig in there, set air defense, drastically reduce losses & dictate terms. Without heavy weapons we won’t be able to drive RF out,” Podoliak said on Twitter Saturday evening.
10:40 The Head of the Main Department of the National Police of Ukraine in Chernihiv Region Volodymyr Nidzelskyi: Russian invaders shell oncology dispensary in Chernihiv.
Russian invaders continue shelling civil infrastructure facilities in the city of Chernihiv.
“Yesterday the enemy continued to insidiously fire on unarmed civilians in Chernihiv. In particular, strikes were launched on an oncology dispensary and peaceful areas in the city,” the report states.
10:25 The President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy: We are not a weak state, Ukraine could make NATO much stronger.
As a full-fledged member, Ukraine could make the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) much stronger.
“It’s hard for us to talk about NATO, because NATO doesn’t want to admit us. I think it’s a mistake, because if we join NATO, we make NATO much stronger. We are not a weak state. We are not proposing to make us stronger at the expense of NATO…We are an addition, we are the locomotive. I think we are one of the important components of the European continent,” Zelenskyy said.
10:15 The Head of Odesa Regional Military Administration Maksym Marchenko: Russian troops have launched a missile attack on a settlement in Odesa region.
"The enemy has just struck a populated area in Odesa region with three missiles from the Iskander missile system from Crimea. There are casualties. We won't leave it like that. I promise that they will feel sorry for every missile launch and for every shelling of our land," Marchenko said in a Telegram video message.
10:00 The Resistance Forces of the Chernihiv Region in village of Shestovytsia have replenished the stocks of armored vehicles for the needs of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine reports, citing the Operational Command North.
According to the report locals said: "The occupiers" relocated so quickly and in an organized manner "that they left a lot of interesting and useful things for our army in the surrounding forests."
The General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine warns to be careful - abandoned Russian vehicles or the surrounding area can be mined.
09:45 The Office of the Prosecutor General of Ukraine: Since start of full-scale war, 158 children die, 254 injured.
Since the beginning of the full-scale invasion of the Russian Federation in Ukraine, 158 children have been killed and 254 children injured, the Office of the Prosecutor General of Ukraine reports.
"412 children have suffered in Ukraine since the beginning of the armed aggression of the Russian Federation. Of these, 158 were killed and more than 254 were injured," the ministry's press service said on Saturday morning.
The Office of the Prosecutor General stressed that work continues to establish all the data on the affected children in the places of active hostilities and in the territories temporarily occupied by the enemy. In particular, in the city of Mariupol, in certain territories of Kyiv, Chernihiv and Luhansk regions.
"According to the data received, the most affected children were in Kyiv region - 75, Donetsk - 71, Kharkiv - 56, Chernihiv - 46, Mykolaiv - 31, Luhansk - 31, Zaporizhia - 22, Kherson - 29, the capital - 16, Sumy - 16, Zhytomyr - 15," the ministry said.
One child was wounded as a result of artillery shelling of the settlement in the Bashtansky area, Nikolaev region on March 31.
It is also noted that 869 educational institutions were damaged due to bombing and shelling. Some 83 of them are completely destroyed. The worst situation is in Donetsk, Kharkiv, Mykolaiv, Sumy, Kyiv, Kherson, Zhytomyr, Chernihiv regions and the city of Kyiv.
09:30 The Head of Dnipropetrovsk Regional Military Administration Valentyn Reznichenko: Dnipropetrovsk Region hit with Russian missile strikes, two people injured.
The Russian military launched missile strikes on Dnipropetrovsk Region last night.
“Missile strikes on Dnipropetrovsk Region at night. In Dnipro, an infrastructure facility was hit with missiles. Serious destructions. Two people were injured,” Reznichenko wrote.
In addition, a filling station was hit in Kryvyi Rih. Rescuers extinguished the fire.
09:00 Ukrainian military eliminated next russia’s TOS-1 Heavy Flamethrower System. The General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine published video presenting scene with the team of Ukrainian Stugna anti-tank guided missile destroying two TOS-1 Heavy Flamethrower System’s Multiple rocket launchers.
08:20 The Mayor of Poltava Oleksandr Mamai: Russian invaders launch missile strikes on Poltava, Kremenchuk.
Russian troops launched a missile strike on an infrastructure facility in Poltava last night and attacked residential buildings in Kremenchuk this morning.
Poltava Mayor Oleksandr Mamai said this in a statement posted to Facebook, Ukrinform reports.
"Poltava. At night, a missile struck an infrastructure facility. Kremenchuk. Many strikes on the city in the morning, on infrastructure facilities and residential buildings. All relevant services are working. We are clarifying information about the victims. Do not post any photos! Keep calm! And never ignore air raid sirens!" Mamai wrote.
08:00 The international committee for the red cross (ICRC) will re-attempt an evacuation mission to Mariupol on Saturday, April 2, after being forced to turn back on Friday.
The team had planned to lead a convoy of about 54 Ukrainian buses and vehicles out of the besieged city, where an estimate 160,000 people are trapped, but aborted the trip after conditions made it impossible to proceed, the aid organisation said.
The ICRC says its Mariupol operation has been approved by both sides, but major details were still being worked, out such as the exact timing and destination of the convoy, which would be an undetermined location in Ukraine.
07:45 General Staff: operational information as of 06.00 on April 2, 2022 regarding the Russian invasion. Key points:
- The units of the russian occupation forces continue to partially withdraw from the north of Kyiv region towards the state border with the republic of belarus.
- In the temporarily occupied territories, the russian enemy continues its illegal actions, restricting the movement of civilians, using the houses and apartments of local residents to accommodate personnel, holding hostages local residents and activists. Marauding and violence against Ukrainian citizens continues.
- In some temporarily occupied by the russian enemy areas , the russian occupiers are trying to force entrepreneurs to switch to paying for goods and services in russian rubles.
- The Joint Forces of Ukraine repulsed 7 enemy attacks in the Donetsk and Luhansk directions during the day. Ukrainian warriors destroyed 3 tanks, 2 armoured personnel carriers, 2 units of motor vehicles and 2 artillery systems. An Orlan-10 UAV was also shot down.
- Ukraine's Defense Forces continue to successfully carry out their tasks, pursue the retreating enemy, break through the occupiers' defensive positions and gradually liberate Ukrainian lands.
07:30 Pentagon announces $300M in additional assistance for Ukraine.
The U.S. Department of Defense has submitted a request to Congress regarding the provision of Ukraine with a new batch of security assistance worth $300 million, which includes a powerful package of various weapons and equipment for the Ukrainian Armed Forces.
"This afternoon, April 1, the Department of Defense (DoD) notified Congress of additional assistance activities under authority provided by the Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative (USAI). Through USAI, DoD will provide up to $300 million in security assistance to bolster Ukraine's capacity to defend itself," - the statement said.
Capabilities in this package include laser-guided rocket systems, Switchblade kamikaze drones, Puma unmanned aerial systems, counter-unmanned aerial systems, armored high mobility multipurpose wheeled vehicles, small-to-large caliber nonstandard ammunition, night vision devices, thermal imagery systems, and optics, tactical secure communications systems, non-standard machine guns, commercial satellite imagery services, medical supplies, field equipment, and spare parts.
"The United States also continues to work with its Allies and partners to identify and provide to the Ukrainians additional capabilities," - the statement said.
The United States has now committed more than $2.3 billion in security assistance to Ukraine since the beginning of the Biden Administration, including more than $1.6 billion in security assistance since Russia's unprovoked, premeditated invasion.
07:00 Reuters: The United States will work with allies to transfer Soviet-made tanks to Ukraine to bolster its defences in the Donbas region, the New York Times reported on Friday, April 1, citing a US official.
The transfers, requested by Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy, would begin soon, the unnamed official said, according to the Times. The official declined to say how many tanks would be sent or from which countries they would come, the paper said.
The Pentagon declined to comment to Reuters. The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The tanks would allow Ukraine to conduct long-range artillery strikes on Russian targets in the Donbas region of southeastern Ukraine bordering Russia, the official said, according to the Times.
It marks the first time in the war that the United States has helped transfer tanks, the newspaper said.
04:30 The UK Ministry of Defense: the destruction of oil tanks at a depot in the Russian city of Belgorod means probable loss of fuel and ammunition supplies to invading forces.
It will likely add more strain to Russia’s already stretched logistic chains. Supplies to Russian forces encircling Kharkhiv may be particularly affected.
03:30 The President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky: Europe has no right to respond with silence to what’s happening in Mariupol
Europe has no right to remain silent in response to what’s happening in Mariupol. The whole world must react to this humanitarian catastrophe.
That’s according to Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelensky, Ukrinform reported, referring to his video address.
“The situation remains extremely difficult in the east of our country. Russia is pulling forces toward Donbas and in the Kharkiv direction. They are preparing for new powerful strikes. We are preparing for an even more proactive defense. We’re using all opportunities – both internal and external. That’s for sure,” the president said.
“I emphasize once again: difficult battles lie ahead. It is still impossible to consider that we have already passed all tests. We all want to win. But everyone will see it when this happens. Everyone will feel that peace is coming,” said Zelensky.
He went on to say that he spoke with French President Macron earlier this afternoon on the humanitarian situation in Ukrainian cities that are under enemy fire.
“The situation in Mariupol was discussed separately. To this, I hope, there may still be solutions. Europe has no right to respond with silence to what is happening in our Mariupol. The whole world must react to this humanitarian catastrophe,” the Ukrainian leader stressed.
02:24 Center for Countering Disinformation: the occupiers are spreading a new fake that the war will end in the near future because both countries will reach an agreement. This way they try to distort the information about the recent negotiations between Ukraine and Russia.
- Russians are fleeing, not withdrawing. This is just a preparation for an attack in the eastern direction.
- no agreements have been reached between Ukraine and Russia yet, the aggressor state is just looking for a way to avoid further sanctions.
02:12 Presidential Office: 6 266 people were evacuated via humanitarian corridors on April 1.
1431 people departed from Berdyansk and Melitopol on their transport, including 771 citizens of besieged Mariupol, reported Iryna Vereshchuk, the Deputy Prime Minister and the Minister of Reintegration of Temporarily Occupied Territories.
42 buses with over 2500 people from Mariupol and 12 buses with Melitopol citizens are on their way from Berdyansk to Zaporizhzhia. More than 300 private cars follow them.
Also, 10 buses with 80 tons of humanitarian aid have arrived in Berdyansk.
02:09 Ukraine NOW citing Oleksiy Danilov, Secretary of the NSDC: Putin set the task of ending the war with a victory parade of the Russian Federation on May 9.
"We need to remember that they have a sacred day — May 9, and Putin sets the task of ending this war with a victory parade on May 9. We need to understand that we still have a lot of fights ahead of us, we need to defend our country and I don’t advise anyone to relax," said Danilov.
01:36 Ukraine NOW: Over 50 landmark Ukraine sites damaged in Russian invasion — UNESCO
The UN's cultural agency on Friday said it had confirmed that at least 53 Ukrainian historical sites, religious buildings and museums had sustained damage during Russia's invasion of the country.
01:27 General Staff: operational information as of 00:00, 02.04.2022 regarding the Russian invasion. Key points:
- some units of the armies from the Russian Eastern Military District and Pacific Fleet Navy are leaving the Chornobyl zone, presumably for further relocation to the Belgorod region, where a few tank units have recently arrived
- Russians focused on covering the retreating groups in the Polissia direction, they are mining the territory and vehicles, ruining the local infrastructure
- Chernihiv and Kharkiv are still under Russian blockade, the occupiers continue shelling and reconnaissance
- The occupiers are partly controlling the city of Izium
- Russians continue assault in the Donetsk direction, focusing on Popasna and Rubizhne cities, carrying out air raids. Continue the siege of Mariupol. A few offensive attacks were repelled.
President Zelenskyy characterized the situation in Eastern Ukraine as "extremely difficult." The enemy is preparing for powerful attacks, and the Ukrainian defenders are preparing for an even more powerful defense.
01:04 NSDC of Ukraine: Ukraine has nothing to do with the recent explosions in Belgorod, Russia
It was stated by Oleksiy Danilov, the Secretary of the National Security and Defense Council in the Ukrainian TV marathon. He said that Russians accuse the Ukrainian military of the attack on the oil facilities in Belgorod on the morning of April 1, which is not true. "We do not comment on this," the official noted.
"They have to understand that it can happen in any area of the Russian Federation's territory. It's not us who came to them, it's not us who went to war against us," Oleksiy Danilov emphasized.
The Adviser to the Presidential Office Oleksiy Arestovych said, that Ukraine "is carrying out defensive activities on its own territory. What is happening on the territory of the Russian Federation is the responsibility of the Russian authorities and it's up to them to figure out what had happened in Belgorod."
Key points regarding the current state of warfare:
- Ukrainian defenders continue to defend our land in Donetsk and Luhansk directions, though the enemy increased its firepower and intensified assault operations, the main efforts are on taking control of Popasna and Mariupol. No success achieved.
- Ukraine managed to establish the defense, the Russian offense has stalled, in some directions Ukrainian military intensively push back the invaders, numerous villages and small cities were liberated
- Belarus provides its lands to Russian troops and equipment; still hasn't joined the war directly. Ukrainian authorities repeatedly warned Belarussian people against that
- Russia uses terroristic methods of war, shelling civilian facilities where there are no military facilities nearby, keeping cities in a full blockade, and sabotaging humanitarian corridors for evacuation and convoys with humanitarian aid.
- Russian army targets nuclear power plants; Zaporizhzhia NPP is currently seized by the invaders; recently, Russian troops have left the Chornobyl NPP poisoned by radiation, but the territory remains under Russian control; military activities by Russian forces near the power plants were described by Ukraine as nuclear terrorism
- Ukraine urges NATO to close the sky over Ukraine or at least provide air defense equipment: fighter jets or ground-based missile systems; some countries have expressed willingness to give their weapons if NATO provides corresponding defensive equipment in exchange
- Ukraine appealed for EU membership via an accelerated procedure. The EU Council summit concluded that such a fast-track application process is impossible; during her visit to Kyiv, EU Parliament President Roberta Metsola stated EU would look for ways to facilitate the process
- Ukrainian citizens in the occupied cities rally against the Russians; on their part, the occupiers began to kidnap activists and authorities; locals are being forcibly "evacuated" to Russia with the following deportation to the depressed areas and appointment of jobs
- thousands of civilian volunteers join the Territorial Defense of the Armed Forces of Ukraine; Ukraine has established an International Legion for foreign volunteers willing to fight for Ukraine, thousands have joined already
- Ukraine has had several rounds of negotiations with Russia; still, no significant progress towards ceasefire and peace, the main question, for now, is establishing humanitarian corridors for the supply of aid and evacuation of civilians; the negotiations continue "non-stop" in an online format; President Zelenskyy expressed readiness to directly talk with Putin; Ukraine has introduced "U-24" – a project on establishment of security guarantees to Ukraine by a number of guarantor states, including the USA, the UK, China and Russia. A few countries expressed their readiness to become such a guarantor (Turkiye, Germany).