- The President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky assured that everyone guilty in military crimes in Ukraine will be included in a special Book of Torturers, will be found and punished.
- UN secretary general António Guterres on Sunday called for an independent investigation into the mass murder of civilians in Bucha.
- NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said that kllings in Bucha are “a brutality against civilians” and those responsible must be held responsible through International Criminal Court.
- Ukrainian officials demand devastating sanctions and for Bucha massacre and call on ICC mission to gather evidence of russian war crimes for further military tribunal
- Kyiv region has been liberated from the Russian invaders. Horrific traces of Russian war crimes and crimes against humanity were revealed in Bucha and other cities after the Ukrainian army and journalists regained control over the territories.
- Verkhovna Rada: the parliament of Ukraine and its social media (Facebook, Telegram)
- President Zelenskyy: the President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy and his social media (Twitter, Facebook, Telegram)
- Presidential Office: the Official website of the President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy and his social media (Facebook, Twitter, Telegram); advisers to the Office: Oleksiy Arestovych and Mykhailo Podoliak; Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Reintegration of Temporary Occupied Territories Iryna Vereshchuk
- General Staff: the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine
Thank you for your attention! This feed is closed. But Defense Express has already started a new one. Find the latest news on Day 40th of the Russian invasion of Ukraine here.
00:10 The President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky: Concentrated evil has come to our land.
Russian invaders who refer to themselves as “army” deserve only death after what they’ve done in Ukraine.
That’s according to the President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky, who delivered a video address to the nation.
"After what was revealed in Bucha and our other cities the occupiers were expelled from. Hundreds of people were killed. Tortured, executed civilians. Corpses on the streets. Mined area. Even the bodies of the dead were mined! The pervasive consequences of looting. Concentrated evil has come to our land. Murderers. Torturers. Rapists. Looters. Who call themselves the army. And who deserve only death after what they did,” - Volodymyr Zelensky said.
He also addressed the mothers of russian soldiers: “I want every mother of every Russian soldier to see the bodies of the killed people in Bucha, in Irpin, in Hostomel. What did they do? Why were they killed?”
“Russian mothers! Even if you raised looters, how did they also become butchers? You couldn't be unaware of what's inside your children. You couldn't overlook that they are deprived of everything human. No soul. No heart. They killed deliberately and with pleasure,” – said President of Ukraine.
He also called the leaders of the russian federation to see how their orders are being fulfilled. “This is how the Russian state will now be perceived. This is your image,” - Volodymyr Zelensky stated
The President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky assured that everyone guilty of such crimes will be included in a special Book of Torturers, will be found and punished.
Volodymyr Zelensky also added that all partners of Ukraine would be informed in detail about what had happened in the temporarily occupied territory of our state. “War crimes in Bucha and other cities during the Russian occupation will also be considered by the UN Security Council on Tuesday," – concluded Volodymyr Zelensky.
23:40 Ukrainian forces seize Russian Buk SAM system, ammo stock.
Ukraine’s Special Operations Forces found a Russian Buk surface-to-air missile system and ammunition near one of the settlements, with no further details about the location disclosed.
"This find was made by a team of Ukraine’s Specops Forces together with fighters of the resistance movement. During special reconnaissance and search operations in the area of one of the settlements, the soldiers discovered a Russian SAM system Buk. Next to the abandoned anti-aircraft missile system was a Russian hideout, where they hid ammunition, weapons, and equipment," the statement said.
It is noted that the Special Operations Forces continue their efforts to locate the enemy to fully "thank" them for the trophies.
23:20 The Mayor of Chernihiv Vladyslav Atroshenko said on Sunday, April 3, at least 70% of the city has been destroyed by Russian attacks.
He said the “consequences” of the attack were severe and mirrored those of other badly damaged cities in Ukraine like Buch and Mariupol, – The Guardian reports.
Ukranian armed forces regained control over the city - for now, but officials fear more assaults.
“The fact that they left does not mean they will not come back tomorrow,” he said of the Russians. “Today we can say it is quiet, there is cleaning, there is demining.”
Atroshenko’s assessment comes after leading rights group Human Rights Watch issued a statement that it had found “several cases of Russian military forces committing laws-of-war violations in Chernihiv as well as other cities like Kharkiv and Kyiv.
Earlier the mayor of Chernihiv Vladyslav Atroshenko drove a member of the Ukrainian parliament around the city destroyed by Russian bombings. The video was shared on Wednesday, March 30.
22:30 World leaders continue to respond to potential Russian war crimes.
UN secretary general António Guterres on Sunday called for an independent investigation into the mass murder of civilians in Bucha, Ukraine, – The Guardian reports.
“I am deeply shocked by the images of civilians killed in Bucha, Ukraine. It is essential that an independent investigation leads to effective accountability,” – António Guterres said on Twitter on Sunday, April 3.
Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskiy previously called the actions “genocide”, which has been recognized by the UN as a war crime under international law since 1946.
German Chancellor Olaf Scholz also called for an investigation into potential war crimes, and Linda Thomas-Greenfield, the US ambassador to the UN promised in a tweet on Sunday “there will be accountability and justice for this brutality.”
The international uproar follows harrowing footage and reports from Bucha, where hundreds of civilians were reportedly massacred by Russian troops in what Zelenskiy has said “looks like war crimes”.
21:40 The Secretary of the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine Oleksiy Danilov: Large grouping of Russian troops amassing in eastern Ukraine
Russian invaders amass a large grouping of troops in the direction of Donetsk, Luhansk, and Kharkiv regions.
"As for the situation in the direction of Donetsk, Luhansk, and Kharkiv regions. Indeed, a large grouping of Russian troops is being amassed there. They are not going to stop. I have already said, and I can say it again, that Putin's order given to his soldiers to destroy our state does not disappear. The only thing they will do today is regroup, they have a great desire to create big problems for our Armed Forces in this direction, and we also expect that fierce battles will be fought there for our territory in the near future," – the Secretary of the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine Oleksiy Danilov said during the nationwide telethon, as Ukrinform reports.
He thanked the Armed Forces, the heads of military and civil administrations and all Ukrainians who "defend Ukraine's independence each in their place."
21:15 The head of the Office of the President of Ukraine Mykhailo Podoliak: Russia's crimes in Bucha are planned genocide.
The actions of Russian soldiers against the civilian population in Bucha are a planned genocide, Mykhailo Podoliak, the adviser to the head of the Office of the President of Ukraine, said.
"Russian soldiers entered Ukraine with a military band and columns of the National Guard. But they were always followed by mobile crematoria. Why take crematoria if you don't believe in resistance? Now it's clear - to hide war crimes. This is not a mistake of the perpetrator. This is a planned genocide," Podoliak said on Twitter on Sunday, April 3.
Earlier he also call international community to stop the murders in Ukraine by imposing an embargo on energy resources from russia and closing seaports for russia’s ships. “21st century Hell. Bodies of men and women, who were killed with their hands tied. The worst crimes of Nazism have returned to. This was purposely done by. Impose an embargo on energy resources, close seaports. Stop the murders!” – posted Podoliak on Twitter.
20:45 Wladimir Klitschko – former heavyweight boxing champion and brother of Kyiv mayor Vitaliy Klitschko – posted an upsetting video on Twitter that appeared to document the civilian killings in the town of Bucha. In the film, he says: “That’s exactly what the Russian regime, Putin’s regime, the Russian army is doing. Killing civilians with tied hands behind their back and with a shot in their head. This is Genocide of the Ukrainian population…”
20:20 NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg: Killings in Bucha are “a brutality against civilians we haven’t seen in Europe for decades”. Those responsible must be held responsible through International Criminal Court.
NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg on Sunday, April 2, said reports of civilians being executed and buried in mass graves in the Ukrainian city of Bucha are “horrific” and “absolutely unacceptable,” – The Hill reports on yahoo! News.
Ukrainian officials have shared photos on social media showing several bodies lying in the streets of Bucha, a suburb of Kyiv, with their hands tied behind their backs.
Some officials have said the individuals were shot dead by Russian troops, while Bucha Mayor Anatoly Fedorur said 280 people had been buried in mass graves.
Asked by co-anchor Dana Bash on CNN’s “State of the Union” if the reports constitute a genocide, Stoltenberg said the incidents represent “a brutality against civilians we haven’t seen in Europe for decades.”
“And it’s horrific, and it’s absolutely unacceptable that civilians are targeted and killed, and it just underlines the importance of, that this war must end. And that is President Putin’s responsibility, to stop the war,” Stoltenberg added.
The NATO chief emphasized the importance of the investigation an International Criminal Court prosecutor launched last month that is probing any claims of war crimes, crimes against humanity or genocide committed in any areas of Ukraine by any individuals.
“It is also extremely important that the International Criminal Court has opened an investigation into potential war crimes in Ukraine and that all facts are brought on the table, to the table, and that those responsible are held accountable,” he added.
19:54ThePresident of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky on Russian soldiers who committed atrocities in Bucha: Murderers, looters, butchers.
Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelensky considers that the 2008 NATO summit was a chance to prevent the current atrocities committed by Russian invaders in Ukraine, and called the Russian military murderers, looters, and butchers.
“Bucharest, NATO Summit Declaration. April 3, 14 years ago. There was a chance to prevent, so that Russia didn’t come. Bucha, Kyiv region. Now. Russia has come,” the Head of State posted on Facebook.
He also addressed Russians in their language, noting: “Mothers of Russian soldiers should see that.See what bastards you've raised. Murderers, looters, butchers.”
As reported, the towns of Irpin, Bucha, Hostomel, and the entire Kyiv region were liberated from Russian invaders. Mass killings of civilians by Russians have been recorded in the liberated towns and villages. In particular, a mass grave with almost 300 people buried was found in Bucha, liberated from the invaders. Dozens of corpses lay in the streets, some with their hands tied.
19:30 UK prime minister Boris Johnson: Civilian murders 'more evidence of Putin's war crimes.
UK prime minister Boris Johnson said the murder of innocent civilians in Irpin and Bucha were “yet more evidence that Putin and his army are committing war crimes in Ukraine,” – The Guardian reports.
He said the Russian president’s invasion was failing and Ukrainian forces’ resolve had “never been stronger”.
Johnson stressed he would “do everything in my power to starve Putin’s war machine”, and called for the international criminal court’s war crimes investigation to continue, adding: “We will not rest until justice is served.”
20:15 General Staff: operational information as of 18.00 on April 3, 2022 regarding the Russian invasion. Key points:
- invaders continue to conduct full-scale armed aggression against Ukraine. Probably, the enemy, having not achieved the goal of the operation in some areas, decided to abandon the offensive in the Siversky and, in part, Slobozhansky directions.
- The withdrawal of units of the occupying forces to the territory of belarus is coming to an end in the Siversky region.
- The situation in the Slobozhansky direction did not change significantly during the day.
- In the Donetsk direction, the enemy is regrouping and strengthening its troops. Thus, redeployment of some units of the 37th separate assault brigade (Chernyakhovsk, Kaliningrad region) to the territory of Donetsk and Luhansk regions is confirmed.
- Occupiers continue to suffer losses in manpower and military equipment. Thus, motorized infantry company from enemy’s 59th Tank Regiment suffered significant losses near Kharkiv. The losses of this unit amounted to almost 80 percent of the personnel.
- Due to significant losses in personnel, about 25 servicemen of the 31st Separate Assault Brigade from Ulyanovsk refused to take part in the war with Ukraine and stated they wish to resign.
- The enemy's violation of international humanitarian law is confirmed daily by numerous civilian casualties in the liberated settlements. All facts are documented and submitted to international judicial institutions. War crimes do not have a statute of limitations, so justice is inevitable.
18:55 Operational Command “North” posted a video compilation of enemy vehicles destruction.
18:35 The President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy visits wounded border guards, presents state awards.
The President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky paid a visit to the wounded border guards undergoing treatment at the Main Military Medical Clinical Center.
“Volodymyr Zelenskyy spoke with Head of the State Border Service of Ukraine Serhiy Deyneko and the management of the clinical center, inquired about the needs in the medical field and the measures taken to help defenders during the war,” the press service of the Head of State informs.
18:09 Air Command “Center”: Russian troops launch missile strike on Vasylkiv, leaving several people wounded.
Today Russian troops have launched another missile strike on the city of Vasylkiv, leaving several people wounded.
Some missiles were destroyed by the Ukrainian anti-aircraft defense units.
18:00 General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine posted additional footage of russian losses.
More photos here.
17:45 The Commissioner for Human Rights of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine Lyudmila Denisova: About 40,000 Mariupol residents forcibly taken to ‘DPR’ or Russia.
About 40,000 Mariupol residents have been taken by Russian invaders to the so-called ‘DPR’ or the Russian Federation, according to the data from local authorities.
“The calculation of deportees is complicated, as they [Russian invaders - Ed.] seize Ukrainian documents from people,” Denisova noted.
In her words, ruscists separate parents from children. A total of 17 children were taken by Russian invaders from a hospital in Mariupol, while their parents were left in Mariupol and evacuated to Zaporizhzhia.
17:30 The Permanent Mission of Ukraine to the International Organizations: Ukraine to convene OSCE Permanent Council meeting due to Russian war crimes in Kyiv Region.
The Ukrainian delegation to the OSCE has initiated a special meeting of the OSCE Permanent Council due to the massacre and tortures of civilians, committed by Russian troops in Kyiv Region, namely in the city of Bucha.
The relevant statement was made by the Permanent Mission of Ukraine to the International Organizations in Vienna in a commentary to Ukrinform.
“We have requested that the Polish Chairmanship convene a special meeting of the OSCE Permanent Council due to the massacre and tortures of civilians, which were committed by Russian soldiers in cities and villages across Kyiv Region, namely in the city of Bucha,” the report states.
16:40 The 128th Mountain Assault Brigade servicemen seize enemy APC with laptops and money stolen by Russians from local residents.
“During a battle with the Russian army, the attackers of the 128th Separate Mountain Zakarpattia Brigade seized a trophy APC, whose crew fled after the wheels of the vehicle were damaged with grenades. Several laptops and hryvnia banknotes were found inside,” the report states.
More photos here.
16:15 General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine posted footage of russian combat jet allegedly Su-35, more information soon.
15:45 Kherson residents hold peaceful rally against Russian aggression.
Kherson residents have gathered near the monument to Taras Shevchenko to hold a peaceful rally against the Russian aggression.
The video depicts people chanting: “Kherson is Ukraine!”. Participants told they had joined the rally to show that local residents in Kherson Region are against Russia and against establishing the so-called ‘Kherson People’s Republic’. There was no organizer in this rally; people came on their own.
15:30 The Minister of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine Dmytro Kuleba: calls on ICC mission to come to Bucha to gather evidence of Russian war crimes.
The Minister of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine Dmytro Kuleba: has called on missions from the International Criminal Court and international organizations to arrive in Bucha and other towns and villages in the Kyiv region as soon as possible to gather evidence of Russians committing war crimes and crimes against humanity.
Kuleba said this on Sunday, April 3, in an interview with the UK's Times Radio, Ukrinform reports, referring to the press service of the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry.
"I call on the International Criminal Court and international organizations to send their missions to Bucha and other liberated towns and villages in the Kyiv region to gather all evidence of Russian war crimes as closely as possible in cooperation with Ukrainian law enforcement agencies," Kuleba said.
14:50 The fifth President of Ukraine, MP Petro Poroshenko: calls to urgently convene UN Security Council, UN Human Rights Council due to atrocities of invaders in Kyiv region.
The fifth President of Ukraine, MP Petro Poroshenko calls for an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council and the UN Human Rights Council to present to the world the facts of the genocide of the Ukrainian people by the Putin regime, the press service of European Solidarity reports.
"I am shocked by the massacres of civilians by the Russian military in cities and towns of Kyiv region. Both Ukraine and the world should be aware that this is the terrible fate that the bloody Putin regime has prepared for us, for Ukrainians, if we lose this war, if we give up and stop fighting," Poroshenko wrote on Facebook.
14:38 Mykolaiv Mayor Oleksandr Senkevych: Enemy launches several missile strikes against Mykolaiv.
Russian troops have launched several missile strikes against Mykolaiv.
"We have several missile strikes against the city. We are collecting data now. Do not publish any photos or videos before official sources do so. If you want to share information, write to me in private messages on Facebook," he said.
14:18 Russians use weapons against peaceful demonstrators in Kakhovka.
Russian troops used force against peaceful demonstrators in the temporarily captured city of Kakhovka in the Kherson region.
That's according to the Telegram channel Kakhovka.INFO, Ukrinform reports.
"Gunfire and grenade explosions can be heard in the city. It seems that they are dispersing the rally, which was scheduled for today at 11:00," the statement says.
14:13 The Minister of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine Dmytro Kuleba demands devastating sanctions against Russia after Bucha massacre.
After the massacre of civilians by Russians in Bucha, Russian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba has demanded that the Group of Seven immediately impose new devastating sanctions against Russia, Ukrinform reports.
"Bucha massacre was deliberate. Russians aim to eliminate as many Ukrainians as they can. We must stop them and kick them out. I demand new devastating G7 sanctions NOW," Kuleba wrote on Twitter.
He noted that this should be the embargo on oil, gas, coal, the closure of all ports for Russian ships and goods and the disconnection of all Russian banks from the international SWIFT payment system.
14:00 General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine: The operational update regarding the Russian invasion on 12.00 on April 3, 2022. Key facts:
- The enemy continues to launch systematic missile and air strikes on civilian infrastructure and fuel storage facilities.
- The battle for the settlement of Oleksandrivka is underway in the Pivdennobuzhsky direction.
- The main efforts of Russia are focused on preparing for the resumption of offensive operations, establishing control in the Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts.
- In the liberated territory of the Kyiv oblast, in the areas of the settlements of Velyka Dymerka, Skybyn and Hoholiv, units of the defense forces are clearing the territory of mines and explosive devices installed by the russian occupiers.
- In the Siversky direction, the enemy completed the withdrawal of units of the Central Military District to the territory of the russian federation.
- The withdrawal of occupation troops continues in the Sumy oblast. The enemy provides cover and logistical support for individual units assigned to the territory of the russian federation.
- In the liberated territories, small groups of servicemen of the armed forces of the russian federation remain, who are hiding or trying to cross the state border of Ukraine on their own.
- In the Slobozhansky direction, the occupiers continue to blockade the city of Kharkiv. The main efforts of the enemy are focused on continuing the offensive in the direction of the city of Izyum. In order to identify weaknesses in the defensive positions of our troops, the russian enemy continues to conduct reconnaissance.
- In the Donetsk direction, russia continues to shell settlements and positions of our troops and conduct assault operations in most areas. It was not successful, it regrouped.
13:30 The Center for Countering Disinformation: Russia is preparing for a protracted war in Ukraine.
The Center for Combating Disinformation at the Ukrainian National Security and Defense Council has said that Russia is preparing for a protracted war in Ukraine.
Russian propaganda is actively spreading theses: "the first phase of the special operation has shown results", "denazification is going according to plan", "Donbas can count on security", and it is obvious that the so-called withdrawal of troops in the Kyiv and Chernihiv regions is nothing but redeployment.
13:03 Presidential Office: Baltic countries have discarded Russian gas and cut off its supplies
The first of the EU countries to adopt such a decision was Lithuania. Later, Uldis Bariss, CEO of Conexus Baltic Grid (Latvia’s natural gas storage operator) announced that the rest of the Baltic countries stopped using Russian gas.
"Here we have a great example for the EU countries," said Andriy Yermak, the Head of President Zelenskyy's Office. "Embargo on Russian energy carriers should be absolute because together we're trying to stop evil with a collapse of the Kremlin's economy."
"If we can do it, the rest of Europe can do it, too," said Lithuanian President Gitanas Nauseda.
12:05 Ukraine NOW: after the cities near Kyiv were liberated from the occupiers, war crimes of the Russian army were revealed
Footage from Bucha and other towns and villages with evidence of mass killings of civilians has flooded the world's media. Dozens of corpses simply lie in the streets, some with their hands tied. The mayor of Bucha, Anatoliy Fedoruk, said that a mass grave had been found in the city, where almost 300 people were buried.
"Appalled by atrocities in Bucha and other towns in Ukraine. Reports of Russian forces targeting innocent civilians are abhorrent. The UK is working with others to collect evidence and support the International Criminal Court war crimes investigation. Those responsible will be held to account," UK Foreign Secretary Liz Truss commented on Twitter.
11:58 Verkhovna Rada: Mayor of Beryslav city Oleksandr Shapovalov was released from captivity
The mayor of the city in the Kherson region was held in captivity for almost two weeks.
Shapovalov personally confirmed the information: "I was released last night, now I am at home. Everything is all right."
11:41 General Staff: daily update on the total combat losses of the Russian army from 24.02 to 03.04 (approx.):
- Personnel – about 18000 people
- Tanks ‒ 644 units
- Armored Personnel Vehicles ‒ 1830 units
- Artillery systems – 325 units
- Multiple Launch Rocket Systems ‒ 105 units
- Anti-aircraft warfare systems ‒ 54 units
- Aircraft – 143 units
- Helicopters – 134 units
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicles operational-tactical level ‒ 89 units
- Vehicles ‒ 1249 units
- Fuel tanks ‒ 76 units
- Boats / cutters ‒ 7 units
- Special equipment ‒ 24 units
- mobile Short-Range Ballistic Missile systems ‒ 4 units
11:34 Ukraine NOW: in the city of Izyum, Kharkiv region, the invaders have destroyed about 80% of residential buildings, said Deputy Mayor Volodymyr Matsokin.
According to the estimates of the city authorities, in Izyum and the nearby villages, from 15 to 20 thousand people are blocked by Russian forces and in need of humanitarian assistance.
11:19 Prosecutor General's Office has published a daily update on registered Russia's war crimes in Ukraine
It is noted that some data is not definitive, and the work on recording crimes in areas of military activities continues. Juvenile prosecutors also pointed out that 869 educational facilities were damaged, 83 of them were completely ruined.
10:59 MIA of Ukraine: throughout March 2022 the Ukrainian police detained about 600 Russian saboteurs
"Sabotage and reconnaissance groups were different in composition, numbers of people involved, and supposedly appointed for different tasks. As of today, we see that those groups were used by our enemy for recording our military's positions."
It was reported by First Deputy Minister of Internal Affairs Yevhen Yenin on the air of the Ukrainian TV marathon. He said, at least 5 potential saboteurs were detained over the past day in the Dnipropetrovsk region only.
10:52 General Staff: footage of 25th Independent Airborne Brigade eliminating a Russian tank
10:28 Operational Command "South": Russian aviation attacked Odesa city. A fire broke out in several areas. According to preliminary data, a critical infrastructure facility was bombed, no casualties.
09:44 Ukrainian Land Forces have published footage of vehicles, abandoned by Russians near the Irpin river
09:22 The Times magazine: Boris Johnson urged the British parliament to hand anti-ship missiles to protect the southern flank of Ukraine
UK Prime Minister has told ministers he wanted to supply the weapons to prevent the Russians from advancing on Odesa, a major port city in the south of Ukraine. Boris Johnson said that those missiles could sink Russian warships and relieve coastal cities being bombarded from the sea. He also noted that anti-ship weaponry could prevent Russians from advancing in the southern direction just as British NLAW anti-tank missiles had helped to stall the occupiers' efforts to take Kyiv.
08:54 General Staff: operational information as of 06:00, 03.04.2022 regarding the Russian invasion. Key points:
- Russian morale is extremely low: commanders of various levels of the 3rd Motorized Rifle Brigade of the 20th General Forces Army are refusing to partake in combat; servicemen write dismissal reports en masse; two battalion-tactical groups have refused to engage in combat, so their redeployment to permanent bases has been planned;
- the Russian leadership is trying to mitigate the manpower losses by carrying out an enlistment campaign among the civilians in the Russian Federation as well as in the temporarily occupied areas of the Donetsk and Lugansk regions and Crimea;
- numerous new cases of war crimes recorded, including violence against civilians, looting etc.;
- over the past 24 hours, six attacks were repelled in the Donbas: 4 tanks, 6 armored and 7 soft-skinned vehicles were destroyed;
- over the same term, the Air Force of Ukraine has shot down 8 targets: 2 airplanes, a helicopter, a UAV and 4 cruised missiles, carried out attacks on the enemy columns and logistics.
08:21 Anton Gerashchenko, the Adviser to MIA: Zelenskyy and Putin might meet soon, says Ukraine, Russia denies.
The direct talks of the two presidents may occur soon, mentioned David Arakhamia, Ukrainian MP and member of the peace talks delegation, on a TV marathon. He said that Russia had verbally accepted the project proposed by Ukraine in Istanbul a few days prior – with the exception of the issue of Crimea (Kyiv proposes to open 15-year negotiations on it, while Moscow demands recognition of its Russian status).
The President of Turkey yesterday called both Putin and Zelensky and confirmed the Kremlin’s readiness for a meeting. With a high probability, it will be held in Ankara or Istanbul. On the other hand, the head of the Russian delegation Medinsky does not yet see prospects for an early meeting between Putin and Zelenskyy:
"I don't share Arakhamia's optimism regarding the readiness of the draft agreement for the summit meeting, unfortunately. We need to do even more work,” he commented on David Arakhamia's statement.
07:51 President Zelenskyy: during his interview with Fox News, the Ukrainian President emphasized that Ukraine needs heavy offensive weapons, including aircraft, from the partners to defend itself.
"We don't need a million bulletproof vests or some special brand helmets. Just give us missiles, give us airplanes. You cannot gie us F-18 or F-19 or whatever – give us Soviet planes," he said.
When asked whether he ordered the recent attack on an oil depot near Belgorod, Russia Volodymyr Zelenskyy noted he doesn't comment on his orders as a Chief Commander of the state. He claimed that even in the Russia-controlled territories, Russians themselves could not possibly understand what happens there. Also, he stressed that Ukraine is in a state of war.
"That is what matters. That is the biggest tragedy <...> They [Russians] occupied our territory, they attacked us. This war has been going on for eight years. So whatever happens in a certain situation, it's hard for me to comment."
07:34 Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces of Ukraine has had a call with the US Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Mark A. Milley. During the conversation, the commanders discussed the operational environment and the needs of the Armed Forces of Ukraine for success in the defense operation. CinC of AF of Ukraine expressed his sincere gratitude for the support and stressed that it is the whole world Ukraine is fighting for:
"With western support, we are capable to eliminate the evil, because we don't want a repetition of the scenarios in Europe that we have in Ukraine: the murder of women and children, the destruction of infrastructure."
07:24 UK Ministry of Defense: Russian aircraft focuses on attacking southeastern Ukraine, suffers from Ukrainian short- and mid-range air defense
00:55 The General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine: the operational update regarding the russian invasion on 24.00 on April 2, 2022:
- The russians continue to carry out systematic missile and air strikes on military and civilian targets, but the intensity of missile strikes and high-precision weapons strikes has declined.
- Additional russian enemy units are being prepared to take part in hostilities on the territory of Ukraine. It is planned to create "volunteer" battalions of residents of the temporarily occupied territories of Ukraine and mercenaries.
- In the Polissya direction. The russian occupiers continue to withdraw units to the territory of the republic of belarus.
- In the Siverskyi region, Russians completed the withdrawal of units from the territories of Ukraine to the Russian Federation and the Republic of Belarus. The enemy's military equipment is concentrated at railway stations and facilities that have railway tracks, which allows it to be loaded and sent to the territory of the russian federation.
- In Slobozhanshchyna, the invaders continue to partially block the city of Kharkiv and shell residential and industrial areas of the city with artillery systems of various types. Units of the russian occupying forces are regrouping, probably in order to continue active operations in the Izyum direction.
- In the Donetsk direction, the occupiers continued to fire on some units of the Armed Forces of Ukraine and to conduct assault operations in some areas. The main efforts of the russian occupiers continued to focus on capturing the settlements of Rubizhne, Popasna, preparing for the attack on Siverodonetsk, gaining full control over Mariupol, as well as access to Vuhledar and Marinka. They did not succeed.
00:10 Kyiv Oblast, Mayor Anatolii Fedoruk: 280 people have already been buried in mass graves in Bucha. According to him, now the city is badly damaged, and the streets are littered with the bodies of dead people.
Key points regarding the current state of warfare:
- Ukraine managed to establish the defense, the Russian offense has stalled, in some directions Ukrainian military intensively push back the invaders, numerous villages and small cities were liberated
- Russia uses terroristic methods of war, shelling civilian facilities where there are no military facilities nearby, keeping cities in a full blockade, and sabotaging humanitarian corridors for evacuation and convoys with humanitarian aid.
- Russian army targets nuclear power plants; Zaporizhzhia NPP is currently seized by the invaders; Russian troops have left the Chornobyl NPP poisoned by radiation; military activities by Russian forces near the power plants were described by Ukraine as nuclear terrorism
- Ukraine urges NATO to close the sky over Ukraine or at least provide air defense equipment: fighter jets or ground-based missile systems; some countries have expressed willingness to give their weapons if NATO provides corresponding defensive equipment in exchange
- Ukraine is willing to join the European Union, have sent an application which is being considered; during her visit to Kyiv, EU Parliament President Roberta Metsola stated EU would look for ways to facilitate the membership process for Ukraine
- Ukrainian citizens in the occupied cities rally against the Russians; on their part, the occupiers began to kidnap activists and authorities; locals are being forcibly "evacuated" to Russia with the following deportation to the depressed areas and appointment of jobs
- thousands of civilian volunteers join the Territorial Defense of the Armed Forces of Ukraine; Ukraine has established an International Legion for foreign volunteers willing to fight for Ukraine, thousands have joined already
- Ukraine has had several rounds of negotiations with Russia; still, no significant progress towards ceasefire and peace, the main question, for now, is establishing humanitarian corridors for the supply of aid and evacuation of civilians; the negotiations continue "non-stop" in an online format; President Zelenskyy expressed readiness to directly talk with Putin; Ukraine has introduced "U-24" – a project on establishment of security guarantees to Ukraine by a number of guarantor states, including the USA, the UK, China and Russia. A few countries expressed their readiness to become such a guarantor (Turkiye, Germany, Italy).