- Norway sends extra 2000 units of M72 LAW anti-tank rocket launcher to Ukraine
- Ukraine and the IAEA establish regular dialogue after Rafael Mariano Grossi, Director General of the IAEA who arrived in Ukraine
- the joint investigation team on Russia's war crimes called Legal Task Force has been created
- The powerful explosions took place in the village of Krasnyi Oktiabr (16 km from Belgorod) in Russia. Probably, the warehouse of the occupiers' arsenal exploded.
- In the Donetsk and Luhansk directions, the Ukrainian defenders repelled four enemy attacks, destroyed 7 tanks and about 10 units of other military equipment.
- Verkhovna Rada: the parliament of Ukraine and its social media (Facebook, Telegram)
- Presidential Office: the Official website of the President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy and his social media (Facebook, Twitter, Telegram); advisers to the Office: Oleksiy Arestovych and Mykhailo Podoliak; Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Reintegration of Temporary Occupied Territories Iryna Vereshchuk
- General Staff: the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine
- Stratcom Centre: Centre for Strategic Communications and Information Security of Ukraine – an establishment under the Ministry of Culture and Information Policy of Ukraine – website and social media (Facebook, Twitter, Telegram)
- Air Force: the Air Force Command of the Armed Forces of Ukraine of Ukraine
01:00 New feed on Day 36th of Ukraine's Defense Against Russian Invasion have started.
00:45 The President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky: Russia accumulating troops for new strikes in Donbas.
The decrease in the activities of Russian troops in Kyiv and Chernihiv regions does not mean their withdrawal; it is the result of the work of Ukrainian soldiers.
"There is an ongoing negotiation process. But these are still words. So far no specifics. There are also other words about the alleged withdrawal of Russian troops from Kyiv and Chernihiv, about the alleged reduction of the occupiers' activity in these areas. We know that this is not a withdrawal, but the result of expulsion, the result of the work of our defenders. However, we also see that there is an accumulation of Russian troops for new strikes in Donbas, and we are getting ready for this," - Volodymyr Zelensky said.
He assured that Ukraine does not believe in any "beautiful verbal constructions". There is a real situation on the battlefield, and now it is the most important thing.
00:30 Pentagon spokesperson John Kirby: Over the last 24 hours, the first six of “around 30” shipments of US security assistance arrived in Ukraine.
“Material is getting into the region every single day, including over the last 24 hours,” Kirby stated.
Kirby said the US is prioritizing “the kinds of material that we know the Ukrainians need the most”, including anti-armor and anti-air systems, The Guardian reports citing CNN.
He also said the Switchblade drones promised to Ukraine will begin shipping in “relatively soon,” John Kirby stated.
00:15 Azov Regiment destroys three enemy tanks, over 60 infantry soldiers in Mariupol.
Fighters of the Azov Regiment on Wednesday destroyed three enemy tanks and 64 Russian infantry soldiers in Mariupol.
"The battle for Ukrainian Mariupol continues. Fighters of the Azov Regiment today destroyed three tanks and more than 64 soldiers of enemy infantry, including the special forces of the GRU [Main Intelligence Directorate] of the Russian Federation," the statement said.
00:05 The International Committee of the Red Cross confirmed that the warehouse that was damaged in Mariupol was a location they were distributing medical supplies to hospital from. However, the ICRC had not distributed supplies from that warehouse since 15 March because of the “intensity of the fighting and the absence of a functional agreement between the parties to allow for the safe passage of humanitarian assistance.”
The ICRC said they are concerned that objects used for humanitarian relief are being targeted and called on the parties to “do everything in their power to avoid locating military objectives within or near densely populated areas and protect civilians against the effects of attacks.”
“But what we are most outraged by is the overall humanitarian situation in Mariupol and the relentless suffering inflicted on civilians living there,” the ICRC said in a statement. “People are trapped with no safe way out of the city, and they are running out of the very basics needed for their survival. This must change.”
On Wednesday, March 30, the Ukrainian Armed Forces’ Azov Regiment claimed on its Telegram channel that the warehouse had been hit by Russian military strikes, posting an image of the larger complex as evidence.
23:30 Russian forces are starting to withdraw from the Chernobyl nuclear site, reports AFP citing the US Pentagon.
A senior US official said that Russian troops are “walking away” from the facility and going into Belarus.
22:35 The head of the Kharkiv regional military administration Oleh Syniehubov: Ukrainian forces pushing back enemy in two directions in Kharkiv region.
The Ukrainian Armed Forces are pushing back Russian invaders in the Derhachi and Rohan directions in the Kharkiv region, - Ukrinform reports.
Oleh Syniehubov, the head of the Kharkiv regional military administration, reported this on Facebook.
"The Ukrainian Armed Forces are gradually driving the enemy out, particularly in the Derhachi and Rohan directions. This morning, at about 11 o'clock, our air defense forces shot down a Russian fighter jet outside Kharkiv. After that, air activity in the region decreased dramatically," Syniehubov wrote.
According to him, the town of Izium remains the most critical point, where the fighting continues. As soon as it is possible to evacuate people or deliver humanitarian aid, it will definitely be done, Syniehubov said.
Currently, the enemy continues to fire from artillery, mortars and MLRS in order to destabilize the situation and prevent a return to normal life.
Earlier the Armed Forces of Ukraine published video on Consequences of battles in the Kharkiv region.
22:00 The Operational and Tactical Group East: Ukrainian defenders destroy 200 Russian troops, 7 tanks, 11 IFVs in eastern Ukraine.
Ukrainian defenders repulsed three attacks by Russian troops in eastern Ukraine, destroying up to 200 Russian invaders, seven tanks, 11 infantry fighting vehicles, 11 artillery systems and mortars, and other equipment.
According to Ukrinform, the Operational and Tactical Group East said this in a statement posted on Facebook.
"In the area of responsibility of the Operational and Tactical Group East, Russian fascist troops continued to carry out offensive operations. On March 30, Ukrainian soldiers repulsed three enemy attacks. As a result of fighting, they destroyed up to 200 troops, seven tanks, two APCs, 11 IFVs, one AFV, 11 artillery systems and mortars, four multiple launch rocket systems, nine artillery tractors, and one UAV," - the statement said.
21:40 The Secretary of the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine Oleksiy Danilov: Russia redeploying troops from Kyiv, Chernihiv direction to east.
Russia redeploys its troops in Kyiv and Chernihiv directions, and some enemy units are moving towards eastern Ukraine, – the Secretary of the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine Oleksiy Danilov said during the nationwide telethon, Ukrinform reports.
“Some of personnel, who were in Chernihiv and Kyiv directions, are being redeployed. Some of them appear in Kharkiv direction and in Donetsk direction. There, the enemy is now strengthening its groups in order to try to increase the pressure on our boys and girls who defend our country in Kharkiv, Donetsk, and Luhansk regions,” - Oleksiy Danilov said.
He also noted that Russia was now gathering mercenaries from around the world for the war in Ukraine.
"I can say that our intelligence is clearly following where these groups are coming from. Moreover, we have a large amount of information about who exactly is part of these groups. We have repeatedly said that all those, who come to our land to kill our citizens, would be punished definitely," Danilov said.
21:30 UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet: UN human rights monitors in Ukraine verified 77 incidents in which medical facilities were damaged, including 50 hospitals.
Ukrainian cities have been pounded by airstrikes and heavy shelling in Russia’s five-week-old invasion, killing civilians and destroying hospitals in acts that may amount to war crimes, the top UN human rights official has said.
Michelle Bachelet, addressing the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva, called on Russia to withdraw its troops.
She also said her office had received “credible allegations” that Russian forces had used cluster munitions in populated areas of Ukraine at least 24 times.
“Homes and administrative buildings, hospitals and schools, water stations and electricity systems have not been spared,” she said.
Russia has denied targeting civilians in what it calls a “special operation” to disarm and “denazify” its neighbour.
Bachelet said that her office, which deploys nearly 60 UN human rights monitors in Ukraine, had verified 77 incidents in which medical facilities were damaged, including 50 hospitals.
“Indiscriminate attacks are prohibited under international humanitarian law and may amount to war crimes,” she said.
“The massive destruction of civilian objects and the high number of civilian casualties strongly indicate that the fundamental principles of distinction, proportionality and precaution have not been sufficiently adhered to,” Bachelet said, referring to the rules of war embodied in the Geneva conventions.
21:20 Dnipro Mayor Borys Filatov: Russian troops launch missile strike on Dnipro
Dnipro Mayor Borys Filatov said this in a statement posted on Facebook, Ukrinform reports.
"It seems there was a missile strike. There is already an understanding of where [the missile struck]. Don't post any photos. Don't overload the phones of government agencies with meaningless messages 'There was an explosion.' We are waiting for an official announcement from the military administration," he wrote.
20:45 The Head of the Donetsk Regional Military Administration Pavlo Kyrylenko: Invaders use phosphorous munitions in Marinka
Today, Russian invaders have used phosphorous munitions in the town of Marinka, Donetsk region, - Head of the Donetsk Regional Military Administration Pavlo Kyrylenko posted on Facebook.
"The Russians used phosphorous munitions again – today in Marinka. Dozens of fires were detected in the town, they were put out by State Emergency Service staff," – said Pavlo Kyrylenko. He also published the relevant photos.
Heorhiyivka, Novokalynove, and Ocheretyne also came under fire. Several houses were damaged, no civilian casualties were reported.
Avdiivka was cut off power a result of the shelling, Kyrylenko added.
20:25 General Staff: operational information as of 18:00, 30.03.2022 regarding the Russian invasion. Key points:
- The occupiers continue to conduct full-scale armed aggression against Ukraine. Some units of the armed forces of the russian federation are being partially withdrawn from the territory of Kyiv and Chernihiv oblasts.
- The enemy has significant difficulties with combat equipment removed from long-term storage - a significant amount of inoperable equipment was found in the 163rd Tank Regiment of the 150th Motorized Rifle Division.
- The enemy troops suffer significant losses. According to the available information, on March 28, a farewell ceremony with the killed in Ukraine russian servicemen took place at the permanent location of the 83rd separate assault brigade. Their number is approximately 200 bodies.
- belarus continues to deny participation in the war against Ukraine, freely providing territories for the russian armed forces, airfields and transport networks, as well as locations for cruise and ballistic missile launchers. The republic of belarus also provides the russian occupiers with the opportunity to use the network of medical institutions on its territory.
20:10 US to give Ukraine $500m in budget aid, Biden tells Zelenskiy.
The United States will provide $500m in budgetary assistance to Ukraine, President Joe Biden told Ukraine’s Volodymyr Zelenskiy on a call today – The Guardian reports.
The two leaders spoke over the phone for nearly an hour about the ongoing efforts by the US and its allies to provide military, economic and humanitarian assistance to Ukraine, according to a White House readout.
A White House statement read: “The leaders discussed how the United States is working around the clock to fulfill the main security assistance requests by Ukraine, the critical effects those weapons have had on the conflict, and continued efforts by the United States with allies and partners to identify additional capabilities to help the Ukrainian military defend its country.”
In addition, President Biden informed President Zelenskyy that the United States intends to provide the Ukrainian government with $500 million in direct budgetary aid. He also reviewed the additional sanctions and humanitarian assistance announced last week. President Zelenskyy updated President Biden on the status of Ukraine’s negotiations with Russia.
Zelenskiy said he spoke with Biden about “specific defensive support” and “a new package of enhanced sanctions”.
19:50 Ukrainian military destroy three more enemy fighter jets, UAV.
In Slobozhansky direction, Ukraine’s Air Force have destroyed today three Russian fighter jets and an enemy unmanned aerial vehicle.
"Three fighter jets and one UAV have been downed today by the anti-aircraft missile units of the Air Force in Slobozhansky direction," the Air Command “East” posted on Facebook.
19:35 The President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky: Russian mines have already been detected in Bosphorus, near Bulgaria–Romania border.
No other state since World War II has posed such a threat to free navigation as Russia has already posed.
“The war is not limited to our borders now. No other state since World War II and the Nazi aggression at sea has posed such a threat to free navigation as Russia has already posed,” – the President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky said in his address to the Storting, the Parliament of Norway.
The President noted that the Ukrainian ports in the Black Sea and the Sea of Azov had been blocked by Russia since the first day of their invasion.
“About a hundred ships cannot enter the Mediterranean Sea. Some ships were simply hijacked – this is piracy for theft of cargo. Several ships were fired at,” he said.
Read also: Ukraine insists on punishing Russia for use of mines in Black Sea
Russians blocked the ports by their Navy and by planting mines, Zelensky underscored.
“And now the mines planted by Russian forces are drifting at sea. And this is a danger for anyone: for any ships and ports of any country in the Black Sea region. One of these mines was recently cleared in time in the Bosphorus. Another - near the Bulgarian border. Another - near the coast of Romania. I don't even want to imagine what will happen if some of these mines are not cleared in time,” the President of Ukraine said.
The President stressed that such mines could damage ferries or passenger liners, merchant ships or tankers, the explosion of which could lead not only to human casualties, but also to a large-scale environmental disaster.
“And then Russia will say again, as always, that it is not them. As it has said many times when killing critics of the Russian government in Europe or even shooting down the Malaysian Boeing in the sky over Donbas,” the Head of State added.
19:15 White House spokesman: Zelensky, Biden to talk on Wednesday.
President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky and the President of the United States on Wednesday, March 30, will discuss the support provided by the United States to Ukraine in the face of Russian aggression, CNN reports, citing a White House spokesman.
As reported, on Tuesday, Biden said that the United States would continue to maintain sanctions against the Russian Federation and supply defense assistance to Ukraine.
18:40 The Minister of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine Dmytro Kuleba, spoke with the EU’s chief diplomat, Josep Borrell, to discuss the situation in Ukraine.
Kuleba tweeted that the EU’s fifth round of sanctions against Russia “must come as soon as possible and be as tough as possible,” – The Guardian reports.
However, Borrell’s tweet following the conversation made no mention of another round of sanctions, only stating that the EU will “maintain the pressure” on Russia.
18:20 Verkhovna Rada Commissioner for Human Rights Liudmyla Denisova: Occupants mine Kharkiv region using banned Medallion anti-personnel mines.
Russian troops are mining Kharkiv region with prohibited POM-3 Medallion anti-personnel mines, which are produced only in Russia, Verkhovna Rada Commissioner for Human Rights Liudmyla Denisova has said.
"The occupiers are mining Ukrainian soil with their newest POM-3 Medallion anti-personnel mines. Cases of using mines with a seismic target sensor have been recorded in the Kharkiv region. Russian invaders use them in remote mining of the region's terrain," the ombudsman said.
18:05 Irpin Mayor Oleksandr Markushyn: According to preliminary data, up to 50 servicemen, 200-300 civilians killed under shelling, during fighting in Irpin.
About 200-300 residents of the city of Irpin, Kyiv region, killed during the occupation, street fighting and from shelling in the city, and about 50 servicemen, including 16 territorial defense fighters, were killed during the battles for the city, Mayor of the city Oleksandr Markushyn has said.
"Unfortunately, some 16 fighters from our territorial defense killed. Some 29 fighters were in the hospital. If we add the Armed Forces of Ukraine, then, I think, somewhere in general up to 50 people killed and 100 people were wounded. They are hero, who did not allow the enemy to enter Kyiv," Markushin said at a briefing on Tuesday.
17:50 Ministry of Defense of Ukraine Spokesman Oleksandr Motuzianyk: No massive withdrawal of Russian troops from Kyiv and Chernihiv recorded.
Despite Russia’s statement about reduced hostilities in the directions of Kyiv and Chernihiv, the Ukrainian side has not noticed any massive withdrawal of Russian troops.
The relevant statement was made by Ukrainian Defense Ministry Spokesman Oleksandr Motuzianyk at a briefing, an Ukrinform correspondent reports.
“Partially, I can confirm this information. Indeed, the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine has recorded some redeployment of the separate units from the directions of Kyiv and Chernihiv. At the same time, we have not noticed any massive withdrawal of Russian troops within these areas. Currently, the separate units are being withdrawn. Hence, it is too early to speak of this,” Motuzianyk told.
In his words, most likely, the enemy is withdrawing the separate units that suffered the highest losses to replenish the combat capacity.
17:40 The Minister of Energy of Ukraine Herman Haluschenko: Ukraine and the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) establish regular dialogue that will lead to real results.
He stressed that the key for Ukraine is the fulfillment of its obligations to comply with nuclear safety.
"And we see the way out of this situation as the liberation of our plants, the Chornobyl and Zaporizhia NPPs, from Russian invaders. And for our part, we will do everything to make this happen as quickly as possible," the minister stressed.
17:10 General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine shared a footage of successful ambush of an enemy column. 5 enemy units are destroyed, 20 others are damaged.
17:00 An adviser to the Head of the President's Office of Ukraine Mykhailo Podoliak: Zelensky, Putin meeting is possible soon, depends on logistics.
The meeting of the Presidents of Ukraine and the Russian Federation, Volodymyr Zelensky and Vladimir Putin, may take place in the near future, but it is impossible to say exactly when this will happen, because this is a logistical issue, Mykhailo Podoliak has said.
“A package of documents has been developed, which we are already presenting, and proposals have been submitted to the Russian side. They say that, in principle, it is possible to start preparing for the meeting of the presidents. The Russians have to examine our proposals, to give some kind of preliminary response to them," Podoliak said at an online briefing at the Ukraine Media Center on Wednesday.
16:45 The Ministry of Social Policy of Ukraine: More than 130,000 people register as internally displaced persons after martial law was introduced.
The Ministry of Social Policy of Ukraine says that more than 130,000 people have already registered as internally displaced persons after the introduction of martial law.
"More than 130,000 people have already registered as internally displaced persons after the introduction of martial law. At the same time, almost 1.6 million people are registered in the unified information database on internally displaced persons," the press service of the ministry said.
The department notes that there are much more migrants, but for various reasons, primarily psychological, they have not yet registered as internally displaced persons.
16:30 South Operational Command Officer Vladyslav Nazarov: Russian ships maneuvering near Odesa, threat of landing persists.
On March 30, 2022, Russian ships continued maneuvering near the city of Odesa, and the threat of enemy landing was persisting.
“Enemy ships continue maneuvering, and the threat of enemy landing is persisting. The enemy is insistently conducting air reconnaissance operations, putting pressure and attacking from the air. However, anti-aircraft defense units and the whole defense system of our region are well arranged and ready to counter any provocations of the enemy, as well as use landscape peculiarities,” Nazarov told.
16:15 The President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy to Norwegian parliament: Ukraine needs anti-ship weapons, anti-aircraft systems, weapons to destroy armored vehicles, artillery systems.
The President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy has said that Ukraine needs anti-ship weapons and anti-aircraft systems, means of destruction of armored vehicles and artillery systems to repel Russian aggression.
"I am grateful to your government and society for the support ... but the war continues, Russia continue to destroy us. We must do more to stop the war. First and foremost: these are weapons. I want to clearly state what we need. In particular, anti-ship weapons, Harpoon missiles, as well as anti-aircraft systems," he said in a video address to the Norwegian parliament on Wednesday.
"All weapons that you can help us with will only be used to protect our freedom and your freedom, security," Zelenskyy said.
15:55 Reuters: Norway sends more anti-tank weapons to Ukraine.
Norway has donated more weapons to Ukraine to help the country defend itself against Russia’s invasion, the Ministry of Defenseof Norway said on Wednesday.
The latest shipment, which has already been completed, is 2,000 M72 anti-tank weapons, raising the total number of M72s donated by Norway to 4,000, the ministry said. (Reporting by Terje Solsvik; Editing by Andrew Heavens)
15:30 Operational Command “North” states about destroying enemy logistics unit in Chernihiv Region.
“In the Siverskyi direction, the defense forces continue to report on their work. Our defenders have disrupted enemy supplies and ‘deactivated’ the logistics unit. As a bonus, they have found some enemy guides and leaflets addressed to ‘comrades’,” the report states.
15:10 The head of the Ukrainian delegation and the head of the parliamentary faction Servant of the People, David Arakhamia: No peace treaties with Russia as long as its troops remain in Ukraine.
There could be no peace treaties with the Russian Federation, as well as any all-Ukrainian referendums, as long as Russian troops remain in the territories of Ukraine.
"Yes, of course," the politician assured, when asked the relevant question.
He said that at the first meeting, the Russian delegation confirmed that it would move within the framework of the Vienna Convention. According to Arakhamia, this is very helpful for the Ukrainian delegation, as the convention envisages that if the agreement is signed under pressure, it is considered null and void.
14:45 The Head of the Mykolaiv Regional Council Hanna Zamaziyeva: Death toll in airstrike on Mykolaiv regional administration rises to 15.
The rescue operation is ongoing at the scene of a destroyed government building in Mykolaiv: 15 bodies have been removed from the rubble.
The Head of the Mykolaiv Regional Council Hanna Zamaziyeva wrote on Telegram, Ukrinform reports.
"The rescue operation in the building of the Mykolaiv regional council is ongoing. So far 15 bodies of victims have been pulled out of the rubble,” Zamaziyeva wrote.
According to her, a total of 40 people were wounded in Mykolaiv region over the past day. Fortunately, there are no children among the victims. All the victims were taken to medical facilities.
14:15 Ukrhydroenergo CEO Ihor Syrota: Ukraine loses one unit at Kakhovska HPP due to war.
PJSC Ukrhydroenergo has lost one unit at the Kakhovska hydroelectric power plant (HPP) occupied by Russian invaders on February 25, the company's CEO Ihor Syrota has said.
"We lost one unit in Kakhovka. We will tell you more about how and why this happened after the war," he said in an exclusive interview with Interfax-Ukraine.
At the same time, he said that the loss of the unit does not affect the safety of the HPP, despite the spring flood season.
"Safety is not affected, given that the flood is below average, we pass water through those that are," Syrota said.
At the same time, the CEO of Ukrhydroenergo said that careful preparation for the flood allows it to pass "in accordance with the technical regulations, as planned."
14:00 Deputy Minister of Agrarian Policy and Food of Ukraine Taras Vysotsky: Ukraine suffers shortfall of $1.5 bln in agricultural exports since beginning of war.
Before the Russian military invasion, Ukraine exported monthly up to five million tonnes of agricultural products through the ports of Odesa and Mykolaiv, however, due to the blockade of these ports by the aggressor country of the Russian Federation, Ukraine can transport no more than 0.5 million tonnes of grain monthly, which led to $1.5 billion shortfall in export earnings since the start of the war.
Such data were published on the website of the Ministry of Agrarian Policy and Food on Wednesday.
The ministry reported that due to Russian aggression, Ukraine can now export agricultural raw materials only through the ports of the Danube, by rail and by road, and each type of transportation is associated with certain problems.
13:45 The Head of the Luhansk Regional Military Administration Serhiy Haidai: Russian invaders shell kindergarten in Lysychansk.
“This morning the Russians shelled the outskirts of the town, now they are opening fire on other parts of the town. Our State Emergency Service workers continue to eliminate the consequences of the previous shelling, while new objects, which need to be extinguished, are appearing. Then they will dismantle the rubble and search for people. One of such objects is a kindergarten, which has been renovated last year. Information about the victims is being clarified,” the governor wrote.
13:30 General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine: The operational update regarding the russian invasion on 12.00 on March 30, 2022, key facts:
- The Defense Forces of Ukraine continues to conduct a defense operation in the Eastern, Southeastern and Northeastern directions.
- In the Volyn and Polissya direction, the movement of enemy tactical units and changes in their composition were not recorded. At the same time, the occupation forces continue to accumulate in the area of the Chornobyl Nuclear Power Plant, the Shelter facility and the Exclusion Zone in general.
- In the Siversky, the enemy focused its efforts on sabotage and reconnaissance activities, engineering equipment of positions and artillery strikes on positions of units of the Armed Forces of Ukraine and infrastructure facilities near the city of Chernihiv.
- In the South Buh area, the enemy is trying to take measures to restore the combat capability of its troops, replenish ammunition and fuel and oil, continues the engineering equipment of the occupied frontiers.
- The enemy continues to conduct a full-scale armed aggression against Ukraine. It suffered significant losses and probably temporarily gave up the task of blocking Kyiv.
- The invaders regroup and focuse on offensive operations in the Eastern Operational Zone.
- In the Brovary direction, there was a partial withdrawal of units from the area occupied by the russian occupiers towards the border with the russian federation.
- In the Slobozhansky direction, the russain invaders continue to block the city of Kharkiv and inflict artillery strikes on residential areas of the city.
- In the Izyum direction, the enemy is increasing its efforts by moving separate units from the 20th All-Army and the 1st Tank Army from other directions. It continues to launch missile and bomb strikes and fire artillery.
- In the Donetsk direction, the russian invaders intensified fire and assault operations, continues to strike air and missile strikes on settlements. The main efforts are focused on taking control of the cities of Popasna, Rubizhne and Mariupol.
12:37 General Staff: Ukrainian troops have seized a support vehicle of the TOS-1A "Solntsepyok" MLRS.
The vehicle in the photo below is part of the TOS-1A "Solntsepyok" heavy flamethrower system. It is the TZM-T loader-transport vehicle which works in pair with the launch vehicle. Ukrainian defenders from 93rd Independent Motorized Brigade managed to capture one of these TZM-Ts. It was moving in a column, destroyed by the Ukrainian Army.
"The column went across the Kharkiv region and got repulsed. The occupiers began to flee, and a TZM from "Solntsepyok" was turned towards the Russian border for escape. But we were already waiting for them in the rear," said the soldier with the call sign "Sid".
International Atomic Energy Agency: Rafael Mariano Grossi, Director General of the IAEA arrived in Ukraine
"I'm at South Ukraine Nuclear Power Plant to meet Ukrainian government officials and staff, and start IAEA technical assistance for safety and security of country’s nuclear facilities," Rafael Mariano Grossi wrote on Twitter. "IAEA’s on-site presence will help prevent the danger of a nuclear accident that could have severe public health and environmental consequences in Ukraine and beyond."
The aim of the Director General’s visit is to initiate prompt safety and security support to Ukraine’s nuclear facilities, written in the Agency's statement. "It will include sending IAEA experts to prioritized facilities and the shipment of vital safety and security supplies including monitoring and emergency equipment."
"Ukraine has requested our assistance for safety and security. We will now start delivering it," Rafael Mariano Grossi said.
11:22 Luhansk region military administration: Russian occupiers shelled Lysychansk city, one person was killed (preliminary data)
"Around 6:30 AM the enemy opened fire on one of the residential neighborhoods in Lysychansk with heavy weapons. We have significant damage to the high-rises. The information on the casualties is being clarified," said the Head of the administration Serhii Haidai.
As he later reported, people got trapped under rubble. 13 people were rescued, one person was found dead. The rescuers were continuing work.
11:17 Air Force: one of the Russian cruised missiles was shot by a Ukrainian fighter jet with an air-to-air rocket.
10:28 Azov Regiment: Russian occupiers shelled the building marked with a red cross symbol
The places where civilians, wounded ones may hide or humanitarian aid may be kept are marked with a red cross on white background, noted the defenders from Azov Special Operations Detachment. The occupiers are deliberately destroying the building, against the laws of war and humanity. This is also a war crime against the International Committee of the Red Cross.
10:14 Stratcom Centre: Russian occupiers blew up their APC on the border with Ukraine
It was a provocation, planned by Russians, said Dmytro Zhyvytskyi, Head of the Sumy region military administration. The invaders placed their armored personnel carrier at the crossing point Ryzhivka and blew it up. This provocation was meant to "create a picture" for Russian media and justify the destruction of the border crossing point.
10:02 General Staff: updated information on (approx.) Russian losses since the start of the full-scale invasion as of March 30:
- personnel – about 17300 people
- tanks ‒ 605
- Armored Personnel Vehicles ‒ 1723
- artillery systems / MLRS – 305 / 96
- anti-aircraft warfare systems – 54
- aircraft – 131
- helicopters – 131
- soft-skinned vehicles / fuel tanks – 1184 / 75
- boats & cutters – 7
- UAV operational-tactical level – 81
- special equipment – 21
- mobile SRBM systems – 4
Дані уточнюються. Підрахунок ускладнюється високою інтенсивністю бойових дій. / Data are being updated. The calculation is complicated by the high intensity of hostilities.
09:54 UK Ministry of Defence: Russia is struggling to sustain more than one axis of advance, suffering heavy losses – British intelligence
08:58 Prosecutor General's Office: the joint investigation team on Russia's war crimes has been created
The Working Group received the name Legal Task Force, said Iryna Venediktova, the Prosecutor General of Ukraine, on her Facebook. The new establishment's functions will include providing recommendations on accountability, including through the United Nations and regional organizations. It will work on a non-profit basis.
The Group will also provide consultations and strategic guidance on Ukraine's cooperation with the International Criminal Court, as well as potential representation in civil and criminal cases, including those subject to universal law.
"It is comprising the world's leading human rights lawyers: Amal Clooney, Queen's Counsel Richard Hermer, Queen's Counsel Tim Otty, Philippa Webb, Baroness Helena Kennedy, chairing the International Bar Association's Human Rights Institute, and Lord Neuberger, former President of the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom," Ukraine's Prosecutor General wrote.
The Working Group will also include the legal experts from companies "Covington & Burling LLP", "Sygna Partners", "Withers", and receive support from international human rights scientists from various institutions and the IBA.
08:25 Security Service of Ukraine: 20 Russian "internet spies" were undercovered since the start of the full-scale Russian invasion.
7 of them have confirmed their connection to Russian intelligence, some of them have already been convicted by the court. According to the SSU, these "internet spies" spread propaganda in support of the occupiers and violation of the territorial integrity of Ukraine.
07:50 General Staff: operational information as of 06:00, 30.03.2022 regarding the Russian invasion. Key points:
- Russian units of the 4th (Tskhinvali district, South Ossetia) and 7th (Abkhazia) military bases, which are part of the Southern Military District of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation, were transferred from the occupied territories of Georgia to the territory of Ukraine for replenishment of the armed groups. Three BTGs with a total number of up to 1,200 Russian and Ossetian servicemen were formed from the 4th military base and sent to Ukraine. Two units were formed from the 7th military base, which is about 800 people.
- Illegal acts against locals:
- Russian occupiers dispersed throughout the Velyka Bilozirka settlement and placed their military equipment between residential buildings.
- Russian invaders on the outskirts of the city equipped checkpoints and strengthened the bypass regime in Melitopol city.
- Russians continue to loot the homes and apartments of local residents, detain pro-Ukrainian activists and government officials in Ukraine.
- The Russian-backed "authorities" of the temporarily occupied territories in the Luhansk region plan to hold another wave of mobilization from April 1 this year. The recently occupied territories of the region might be involved in this process, too.
- The armed forces of the Russian Federation still have problems with staffing its units. For instance, after participation in the war with Ukraine contract servicemen of the 26th Tank Regiment of the 47th Tank Division began to submit reports requesting to terminate the contract and send them to a permanent location for further service.
- Over the past 24 hours, the Joint Forces of Ukraine have repulsed four Russian attacks in the Donetsk and Luhansk directions. Ukrainian soldiers destroyed 7 tanks, 7 armored vehicles, 2 soft-skin vehicles, and an anti-tank gun, as well as inflicted manpower casualties on the occupiers.
07:44 Ministry of Finance of Luxembourg: as of today, operators in Luxembourg have frozen Russian assets worth 2.5 billion euros due to the EU .sanctions. It was reported by the Finance Minister of Luxembourg Yuriko Backes.
07:25 Verkhovna Rada: this year's sowing campaign is the most challenging in the history of independent Ukraine.
The war caused agrarians a lot of problems, the Committee on Agrarian and Land Policy of the Ukrainian Parliament wrote in a statement. In particular, even land plots to which farmers have access are often mined. Minefields treat is recorded in the regions currently most affected by war, namely: Sumy, Chernihiv, Donetsk, Luhansk, Mykolayiv, sometimes in Kyiv and Kharkiv regions.
People are afraid to work on them, the Committee stated. In Kherson oblast, there are cases of targeted strikes on warehouses, agricultural machinery parking, and engineering bases in order to disrupt sowing.
Although some of the problems are challenging to deal with now, the parliament has already adopted some decisions meant to facilitate the sowing campaign: access to fuel, registration of agricultural machinery, and seed certification have already been simplified; licensing of pesticides and agrochemicals has been deregulated.
"Due to the war, sowing in 2022 will become even more crucial because the food security of both Ukraine and the world depends on the work of Ukrainian farmers," the Committee noted.
01:24 According to British intelligence, Russia will try to use the units withdrawn from the north to attack the Donbas. This was reported by the Ministry of Defense of the United Kingdom.
The intelligence service noted that the repeated failures of the Russians and the successful counterattacks of the Ukrainian troops meant that, most likely, the Russian offensive had not achieved its goal of encircling Kyiv.
"Russia's statements about the reduction of activity around Kyiv and the withdrawal of some Russian units may indicate Russia's recognition that it has lost initiative in the region," the statement said.
01:05 General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine: the operational update regarding the russian invasionon 24.00 on March 29, 2022, key points:
- The tasks of reaching the administrative borders of Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts, encircling the city of Kyiv and establishing control over the left-bank part of Ukraine remain unfulfilled by the enemy.
- Withdrawal of units of the Armed Forces of the russian federation from the territory of Kyiv and Chernihiv oblasts continues.
- According to some indications, the russian enemy is regrouping units to focus its main efforts on the East. At the same time, the so-called "withdrawal of troops" is probably a rotation of individual units and aims to mislead the military leadership of the Armed Forces of Ukraine and create a misconception about the occupiers' refusal to plan to encircle the city of Kyiv.
- There are no significant changes in the composition and position of the russian enemy's troops in the Volyn, Polissya, and Siversky areas. The russian occupiers are trying to keep the previously occupied borders, they are not carrying out active offensive operations in these areas.
- In the direction of Slovyansk, the enemy continues to hold positions in the area of the settlements of Kamyanka, Sukha Kamyanka? implement measures to supply russian troops, regroup units and replenish supplies continued.
- In the Donetsk direction, the enemy continues to fire and storm. It carried out air and missile strikes in the areas of Kreminna and Mariupol. Its main efforts were focused on taking control of the settlements of Popasna, Rubizhne, as well as the complete capture of Mariupol, which was not successful.
- No changes in the composition and position of the enemy were recorded in the Tavriya direction.
- In the South Buh direction, the russian enemy is taking measures to restore the combat capability of its units. It does artillery fire and air strikes, trying to restrain the actions of units of the Armed Forces of Ukraine.
- The russian enemy carried out artillery shelling of the positions of the units of the Defense Forces of Ukraine near the settlements of Stepnohirsk, Orikhove, and Huliaipole.
- In the areas of Novokarlivka and Luhivske settlements, the russian enemy continues to carry out fortification equipment of occupied positions and install minefields.
The war lasts for more than a month. An impressive rundown of the first days of the war was provided by the President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy in his address to the Parliament of the United Kingdom.
Key points regarding the current state of warfare:
- Ukrainian defenders continue to defend our land on Donetsk and Luhansk directions, though the enemy increased its firepower and intensified assault operations, the main efforts are on taking control of Popasna and Mariupol. No success achieved.
- Ukraine managed to establish the defense, Russian offense has stalled, in some directions Ukrainian military push back the invaders.
- Belarus provides its lands to Russian troops and equipment; still hasn't joined the war directly.
- Russia uses terroristic methods of war, shelling civilian facilities where there are no military facilities nearby, keeping cities in a full blockade, and sabotaging humanitarian corridors for evacuation and convoys with humanitarian aid.
- Russian army targets nuclear power plants; Chernobyl NPP and Zaporizhzhia NPP are seized by occupiers; military activities by Russian forces near the power plants were described by Ukraine as nuclear terrorism
- Ukraine urges NATO to close the sky over Ukraine or at least provide air defense equipment: fighter jets or ground-based missile systems; some countries have expressed willingness to give their weapons if NATO provides corresponding defensive equipment in exchange (Poland, Slovakia)
- Ukraine appealed for EU membership via an accelerated procedure. The EU Council summit concluded that such a fast-track application process is impossible, yet they stated that "Ukraine belongs to the European Union"
- Ukrainian citizens in the occupied cities rally against Russians; thousands of civilian volunteers join the Territorial Defense of the Armed Forces of Ukraine; the fighting has become a national struggle for survival
- Ukraine has had several rounds of negotiations with Russia; still, no significant progress towards ceasefire and peace, the main question, for now, is establishing humanitarian corridors for the supply of aid and evacuation of civilians; the negotiations continue "non-stop" in an online format; President Zelenskyy expressed readiness to directly talk with Putin.